- ABOUT US
- COLLECTIONS A - C
- COLLECTIONS D - M
- COLLECTIONS N - Z
- ONLINE RESOURCES
- LINC 211
- SUPPORT THE LIBRARY
- ASK A QUESTION
- SECOND EDITIONS BOOKSTORE
- COMPUTER CLASSES
- MEETING ROOMS
- PROGRAMS & EVENTS
- SPECIAL NEEDS SERVICES
- TTY SERVICE
- WI-FI ACCESS
- WYPL FM 89.3
- MY ACCOUNT
- HELP / CONTACT
THE BLUE AND THE GRAY
EXPLORING THE WAR BETWEEN THE STATES
A period of great courage, unrest, and pain, the Civil War continues to fascinate people of all walks of life around the world. The Civil War collection was created to give general readers and researchers as complete a picture as possible of the people, places, and issues behind this pivotal chapter in our nation's history.
- VARIETY OF MATERIALS
- You'll find a large selection of items to meet your reading and research needs, including general military histories of the era, maps, regimental histories, service records of individual soldiers, as well as family letters and diaries of Civil War participants.
- BATTLES AND CAMPAIGNS
- If you're interested in the Civil War military campaigns, accounts of individual battles, and studies of military strategies, you'll have plenty of books to keep you happy. Just a few of the many titles include Connelley and Jones, The Politics of Commanding Factions and Ideas in Confederate Strategy, Hattaway and Jones, How the North Won, and Pfanz, Gettysburg the Second Day.
- LIVING WITH WAR
- How were the Confederate and Union armies organized? What was the typical day of a soldier like? How did soldiers and civilians alike cope with the upheaval of war? Find out from unit histories, soldier's diaries, and studies of the daily lives of combatants that help make up the Civil War collection.
- RECORDS TO COMPLETE YOUR FAMILY TREE
- Genealogists and others interested in tracing their roots will find several groups of microfilmed records to be of particular help, including Tennessee Confederate and Union service records, Freedmen's Bureau records, and these of the Virginia Historical Society.
- The Civil War collection contains works of major importance to both military and family researchers, including The Union Army Illustrated (6 volumes), Official Records of the War of the Rebellion (130 volumes) and the supplement (56 volumes), and Report on the Conduct of the War (6 volumes).
The Civil War collection exists in part thanks to the generous support of the Folk family.
- 4th Floor, History Department
Benjamin L Hooks Central Library
3030 Poplar Avenue
Memphis, TN 39111
- (901) 415-2742 (History Department)
(901) 41 5-2700 (Library Information Center)
- Monday - Thursday 10 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Friday - Saturday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Sunday 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Mission Statement: The Memphis Public Library & Information Center is in the business of satisfying the customers need to know.
Bring your gently used books to the nearest Memphis Public Library & Information Center location. Proceeds from Friends of the Library book sales benefit the Memphis Public Library & Information Center.