- ABOUT US
- COLLECTIONS A - C
- COLLECTIONS D - M
- COLLECTIONS N - Z
- ONLINE RESOURCES
- LINC 211
- SUPPORT THE LIBRARY
- ASK A QUESTION
- SECOND EDITIONS BOOKSTORE
- COMPUTER CLASSES
- MEETING ROOMS
- PROGRAMS & EVENTS
- SPECIAL NEEDS SERVICES
- TTY SERVICE
- WI-FI ACCESS
- WYPL FM 89.3
- MY ACCOUNT
- HELP / CONTACT
A SPECIAL COLLECTION OF THE CHILDREN'S DEPARTMENT
MORE THAN THE 3 R'S
STARTING CHILDREN ON A LIFELONG PATH OF LEARNING
Dinosaurs, airplanes, mysteries, magic, bugs, dance... children will find what they need to learn more about their special interests - and,. more importantly, to get caught up in the sheer joy of learning itself. The materials in this section were gathered with one goal in mind: to help children grow into happy, successful adults. That means both stro support for formal education as well as encouragement to read for pleasure and engage in lifelong learning.
- EASY READERS AND NON-FICTION FOR K-3
- Beginning readers need materials that challenge them - but riot too much. With books created especially for this age group, this section boasts a tantalizing assortment of high-interest stories and subject areas. From Dr. Seuss to the Berenstain Bears, biographies of famous people to how wild animals live, children in the lower grades will find something to suit both their interests and needs.
- WHEN BOOKS ARE NOT ENOUGH
- Sometimes kids need more than books to capture their interest and get them involved in learning. That's where our family videos, DVD's, audio cassettes/CDs unabridged books, children's music tapes! CDs, maga7ines and book/cassette pairs come in.
- FICTION AND NON-FICTION FOR OLDER CHILDREN
- Chapter books as well as more complex non-fiction books for older children make up a large portion of the collection for School-Age Children. Whether children seed to do research for a school project or just want to know more about a subject that interests then they will find it here.
- EXPERT HELP MATCHING THE RIGHT BOOK TO YOUR CHILD
- Let our team of professional librarians guide your children to the books that will interest, educate, and excite them.
BRANCHES WITH SIMILAR MATERIALS
Every branch has materials for children, but these branches have special strengths in various children's related areas:
African American Children's Fiction - Cornelia Crenshaw
African American Children's Biographies - North
Children's Fiction - Hollywood
Children's Action in Spanish - Cherokee
Classics - Bartlett, East Shelby. Highland, Raleigh, Whitehaven Reading Rainbow Video Collection - Cornelia Crenshaw
WHO MADE THIS SECTION POSSIBLE?
Jabie and Helen Hardin generously donated a significant amount of money to make the entire Children's Department - as well as this particular section of it - as complete as possible. Our sincere gratitude goes to the Hardins as well as the Hyde Foundation for their support.
- 1st floor, Children's Department
Benjamin L. Hooks Central Library
3030 Poplar Avenue
Memphis, TN 38 11
- (901) 415.2739 (Children's Department)
(901) 415-2700 (Library Information Center)
- Monday - Thursday 10 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Friday - Saturday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Sunday 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Mission Statement: The Memphis Public Library & Information Center is in the business of satisfying the customers need to know.
Bring your gently used books to the nearest Memphis Public Library & Information Center location. Proceeds from Friends of the Library book sales benefit the Memphis Public Library & Information Center.