Special Needs Services @ Your Library
In addition to helpful staff the library has accommodations for residents with special needs, including…
- Books on Cassette and Compact Disc (approximately 2,400 titles)
- Descriptive Entertainment Videos (with closed captions for the hearing impaired and/or scripts that describe action and characters for the visually impaired)
- E-Audio Books (download at www.memphislibrary.org)
- Large Print Fiction and Non-fiction Books (approximately 12,000 titles)
- Adjustable computer desks
- ZoomText Magnifier/Reader software
- Computers with 20-inch monitor, SmartCat touchpad, large trackball mouse, headphones and either a compact, large print/Braille, or large key keyboard.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer software for convenient access to the web and easy text size and contrast adjustment.
- Earphones for use in meeting rooms (available at Central Library) – Earphones are available for program attendees in Central’s meeting rooms. They can be checked out from the Checkout Desk in the Lobby. Library card is required for checkout.
- Mobile Scooters (A gift from H.W. Durham Foundation at Central Library) – Scooters can be checked out from the Checkout Desk in the Lobby. No library card required.
LOW TECH EQUIPMENT
Low tech equipment is available at many of our 19 locations. Equipment includes:
- Assorted magnifiers
- Convenience Shopping Carts – (available at Central Library and 8 branches)
- Lap desks
- Hands free bookstands
Tennessee State Library Services:
- Apply for access to the Tennessee Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped’s collection of 50,000 items at any of our 19 Memphis Public Library & Information Center locations.
- Learn more about Tennessee Library Services for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing at http://www.tndeaflibrary.nashville.gov/about.htm.
Memphis Public Library Services
- WYPL (FM Radio 89.3) provides continual radio reading services and special programming for the visually impaired.
- TTY line available at 415-2701.