- ABOUT US
- COLLECTIONS A - C
- COLLECTIONS D - M
- COLLECTIONS N - Z
- ONLINE RESOURCES
- LINC 211
- SUPPORT THE LIBRARY
- ASK A QUESTION
- SECOND EDITIONS BOOKSTORE
- COMPUTER CLASSES
- MEETING ROOMS
- PROGRAMS & EVENTS
- SPECIAL NEEDS SERVICES
- TTY SERVICE
- WI-FI ACCESS
- WYPL FM 89.3
- MY ACCOUNT
- HELP / CONTACT
Health Magazines and Newsletters
- Health Databases on the Library Web
These databases can be accessed at any of our library locations as well as from an internet-connected computer outside the library. (Outside the library, if requested, use account name "memphis" and password "elvis" to access the library's databases.) Under "Subjects" you will find a collection of icons. Scroll down and select the one labelled "Health" to search for medical and health periodicals with current information.
- PubMed Central
PubMed Central is a digital archive of life sciences journal literature managed by the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) at the U.S. National Library of Medicine (NLM). It is not a journal publisher. Access to PubMed Central (PMC) is free and unrestricted.
PubMed is the National Library of Medicine's search service. It provides access to over 11 million citations in MEDLINE, PreMEDLINE and other related databases, with links to participating online journals. To order an article found on PubMed, contact the library or the University of Tennessee Health Center at (901) 448-5634.
- Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report - MMWR
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provide current and past volumes of the MMWR Weekly. They contain data on specific diseases as reported by state and territorial health departments and reports on infectious and chronic diseases, environmental hazards, natural or human-generated disasters, occupational diseases and injuries, and intentional and unintentional injuries.
- Emerging Infectious Diseases
A peer-reviewed journal tracking and analyzing disease trends from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Past issues are also available.
Read the current issue of Pediatrics, a magazine provided by the The American Academy of Pediatrics.
- Merck Manual -- 2nd Home Edition
The Merck Manual of Medical Information -- Home Edition Online, free site made available by Merck & Co., Inc. Also available are The Merck Manual of Geriatrics and The Merck Manual of Health & Aging.
- Reports of the Surgeon General
This site contains official reports, conference and workshop reports, and proceedings from the Office of the Surgeon General. The National Library of Medicine has digitized and made these materials available over the internet for use by the public.
- Disease Emergence and Resurgence: The Wildlife-Human Connection
This book discusses how new diseases are brought about and spread by man's interactions with his environment. Special attention is placed on zoonosis (diseases spread from animals to humans).
- The Bad Bug Book
Provides basic facts regarding food borne pathogenic microorganisms and natural toxins. It brings together in one place information from the Food & Drug Administration, the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, the USDA Food Safety Inspection Service, and the National Institutes of Health.
Search the Health Information Center
Health Databases @ Your Library
Full text search or browse
- Drugs and Controlled Substances
- Gale Encyclopedia of Alternative Medicine
- Gale Encyclopedia of Cancer
- Gale Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders
- Gale Encyclopedia of Genetic Disorders
- Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine
- Gale Encyclopedia of Nursing and Allied Health
- Gale Encyclopedia of Surgery
- Health Reference Center AcademicTEL
- Health and Wellness Resource CenterTEL
Health Information Center Online
- In the News
- Local and National Health Events
- General Health Concerns, Diseases, Medical Conditions, Tests, & Diagnosis
- Doctor and Medical Facilities Locator
- Local Health Information
- Drug and Pharmaceutical Information
- Surgeries, Procedures and Tests
- Self Help
- Health Magazines and Newsletters
- Healthy Lifestyle
- Complementary & Alternative Medicine
- Health Statistics
- Health Resources for Diverse Ethnic and Cultural Populations
- Legal Health Issues
- Managed Care, Insurance, HMOs, TennCare, etc.
- Mental Health
- Men's Health
- Women's Health
- Children's Health
- Seniors' Health
Seven criteria are used to select health sites for inclusion here.
For the full explanation of our selection criteria and the Honor Code, visit our Selection Criteria page.