- ABOUT US
- COLLECTIONS A - C
- COLLECTIONS D - M
- COLLECTIONS N - Z
- ONLINE RESOURCES
- LINC 211
- SUPPORT THE LIBRARY
- ASK A QUESTION
- SECOND EDITIONS BOOKSTORE
- COMPUTER CLASSES
- MEETING ROOMS
- PROGRAMS & EVENTS
- SPECIAL NEEDS SERVICES
- TTY SERVICE
- WI-FI ACCESS
- WYPL FM 89.3
- MY ACCOUNT
- HELP / CONTACT
Wellness and Prevention - Nutrition - Sports Medicine and Fitness
Portal to the many health and wellness sites created by the US government. Get reliable facts and helpful tips about physical fitness, nutrition, preventive screenings and more.
- Weight-control Information Network
The Weight-control Information Network (WIN) provides the general public with “up-to-date, science-based information on weight control, obesity, physical activity, and related nutritional issues. The information is offered in English and Spanish. This web site is an information service of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.”
- Healthy Computing
Free information on computer-related health and safety.
"One size doesn't fit all. The MyPyramid plan can help you choose the foods and amounts that are right for you." Replaces the outdated Food Pyramid.
- The Nutrition Source
Provided by the Department of Nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health - has a wealth of information on diet and nutrition that is helpful for both health care professionals and the public.
- Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion
This site has information on research pertaining to the nutritional needs of the American public. The current editon of the publication, Dietary Guidelines for Americans, is also available here.
- Nutrient Database
If you are counting calories, fat grams or carbohydrates, this site can help. Enter your food item into the search box and get a very detailed nutritional report.
The President’s Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition.
- The Physician and Sportsmedicine A source for primary care sports medicine articles brought to you by the McGraw-Hill Companies.
- The Exercise and Physical Fitness Page
This site can help you start or expand your exercise routine. It covers aerobic exercise, strength training and flexibility, as well as nutrition and tips for getting started.
Search the Health Information Center
Health Information Center Online
- In the News
- Local and National Health Events
- General Health Concerns, Diseases, Medical Conditions, Tests, & Diagnosis
- Doctor and Medical Facilities Locator
- Local Health Information
- Drug and Pharmaceutical Information
- Surgeries, Procedures and Tests
- Self Help
- Health Magazines and Newsletters
- Healthy Lifestyle
- Complementary & Alternative Medicine
- Health Statistics
- Health Resources for Diverse Ethnic and Cultural Populations
- Legal Health Issues
- Managed Care, Insurance, HMOs, TennCare, etc.
- Mental Health
- Men's Health
- Women's Health
- Children's Health
- Seniors' Health
Seven criteria are used to select health sites for inclusion here.
For the full explanation of our selection criteria and the Honor Code, visit our Selection Criteria page.