- ABOUT US
- COLLECTIONS A - C
- COLLECTIONS D - M
- COLLECTIONS N - Z
- ONLINE RESOURCES
- LINC 211
- SUPPORT THE LIBRARY
- ASK A QUESTION
- SECOND EDITIONS BOOKSTORE
- COMPUTER CLASSES
- MEETING ROOMS
- PROGRAMS & EVENTS
- SPECIAL NEEDS SERVICES
- TTY SERVICE
- WI-FI ACCESS
- WYPL FM 89.3
- MY ACCOUNT
- HELP / CONTACT
- 10 Legal Myths About Advance Medical Directives*
Published by the American Bar Association's Commission on Law and Aging, this website exposes 10 of the legal myths regarding advance medical directives. *This is an Adobe Acrobat file. The free reader is available here.
- AARP in Your State: Tennessee
This website provides information for seniors on the issues of advocacy, community service, news, announcements, and contact information for the state of Tennessee.
- Caring Connections
Caring Connections is a program of the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization. It offers information on a variety of senior issues including advance care planning with “free state-specific advance directive documents and instructions.”
- AGS Foundation for Health in Aging
The AGS Foundation for Health in Aging is a non-profit organization established in 1999 by the American Geriatrics Society.
- Consumer’s Tool Kit for Health Care Advance Planning
Published by the American Bar Association's Commission on Law and Aging, this tool kit contains a variety of self-help worksheets, suggestions and resources to help users clarify and communicate what is important to them in the face of serious illness.
Senior Health, provided by the National Institutes of Health, was developed by the National Library of Medicine and the National Institute on Aging.
- Exercise: A Guide from the National Institute on Aging
“Think you are too old to start an exercise program?” Ease into an exercise program with this guide from the National Institute on Aging.
- Law and Aging Resource Guide
The Law and Aging Resource Guide “is a comprehensive listing of the state-wide resources available to help older persons with law-related issues. Published by the American Bar Association's Commission on Law and Aging, the guide includes important contact numbers and addresses for legal assistance providers and other law-related services for the elderly.”
SeniorNet is “a nonprofit organization of computer-using adults, age 50 and older. SeniorNet’s mission is to provide older adults with education for and access to computer technologies to enhance their lives and enable them to share their knowledge and wisdom.”
- Seniors' Health Topics
Various sites selected for general information on seniors' health issues at MEDLINEplus.
- Administration on Aging
AoA is a federal agency that has the single charge of serving the nation's 43 million seniors.
- AAFP: Information from your family doctor / Seniors Issues
Reprint-able material about common seniors issues. Provided by the American Academy of Family Physicians.
OWL is a national membership organization that strives to improve the status and quality of life for midlife and older women.
- Alzheimer’s Association
A gateway to information for those suffering from Alzheimer's and those caring for them.
- Merck Manual of Geriatrics
A full-text geriatric care manual.
- National Alliance for Caregiving
Provides support to family caregivers of older persons and the professionals who help them and tries to increase public awareness of issues facing family caregivers.
- National Resource Center for Safe Aging
Get the background, news and resources for preventing injuries among older adults.
- AARP: Health & Wellness
Articles, advice, insurance options and community information are among the topics covered at this site provided by AARP.
WELLCome Home is a “home-modification resource center. The information on this site can help you determine how your house or the house of someone you know can be improved to allow you to stay there.”
- Visit assisted-living-directory.com to search for assisted living accommodations for seniors by state.
- Local 2009 annual retirement housing guide provided by Memphis' The Best Times. The 2010 guide may be found in the November, 2010 issue of The Best Times on pages 29-33.
Search the Health Information Center
Health Information Center Online
- In the News
- Local and National Health Events
- General Health Concerns, Diseases, Medical Conditions, Tests, & Diagnosis
- Doctor and Medical Facilities Locator
- Local Health Information
- Drug and Pharmaceutical Information
- Surgeries, Procedures and Tests
- Self Help
- Health Magazines and Newsletters
- Healthy Lifestyle
- Complementary & Alternative Medicine
- Health Statistics
- Health Resources for Diverse Ethnic and Cultural Populations
- Legal Health Issues
- Managed Care, Insurance, HMOs, TennCare, etc.
- Mental Health
- Men's Health
- Women's Health
- Children's Health
- Seniors' Health
Seven criteria are used to select health sites for inclusion here.
For the full explanation of our selection criteria and the Honor Code, visit our Selection Criteria page.