- ABOUT US
- COLLECTIONS A - C
- COLLECTIONS D - M
- COLLECTIONS N - Z
- ONLINE RESOURCES
- LINC 211
- SUPPORT THE LIBRARY
- ASK A QUESTION
- SECOND EDITIONS BOOKSTORE
- COMPUTER CLASSES
- MEETING ROOMS
- PROGRAMS & EVENTS
- SPECIAL NEEDS SERVICES
- TTY SERVICE
- WI-FI ACCESS
- WYPL FM 89.3
- MY ACCOUNT
- HELP / CONTACT
Religion and Philosophy
Religion and Philosophy
Religion and Spirituality
Used regularly by believers from all faiths as a source of inspiration, reflection and scholarly study, this extensive and diverse collection includes books, cassettes, DVDs, and reference sources. Our collection covers all of the major and many of the minor faiths and includes an extensive collection of comparative religion resources and commentaries. We also have devotionals, books of prayer, and spirituality guides.
The links below can be a gateway to informational websites for and about the major faiths and their sub sects. They support our collection and offer a variety of opinions and outside links. Memphis Public Library and Information Center strives to represent all faiths and opinions, but does not support any one in particular.
- The New Testament Gateway
- Bible Study Guide
- Bible: King James Version
- Episcopal Cafe
- The Episcopal Church
- Anglican Communion
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
- The United Methodist Church
- Orthodox Presbyterian Church
- Southern Baptist Convention
- American Baptist Churches USA
- Church of Ireland
- Catholic Online
- Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
- Mennonite Church USA
- The Quaker Information Center
- United Church of Christ
- Adventist.org: The Seventh-Day Adventist Church
- Christian Science
- American Jewish Committee
- Judaism 101
- Kabbalah: Qabalah
- Internet Jewish History Sourcebook
- Academic Guide to Jewish History
- Jewish Encyclopedia
- A Brief Illustrated Guide to Understanding Islam
- Islam 101
- BBC Religion and Ethics: Islam
- Muslims on PBS Frontline
Other Faith Traditions
- The Daoist Studies Website
- Mormonism: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- The Celtic Connection (Pagan and Wicca)
- New Age Spirituality
- AMTRAD: The American Tradition of the Goddess
- Covenant of the Goddess
- The Baha’i Faith
- The Watchtower: Official Website of Jehovah’s Witnesses
- American Atheists
- Atheist Alliance International
More on World Religions
- Encyclopedia of Religion and Society
- The Association of Religion Data Archive
- PBS Faith and Reason
- Religion Facts: Just the Facts on Religion
- Ontario Consultants on World Religion
- Memphis Theological Seminary
- Mid-American Baptist Theological Seminary
- Reformed Theological Seminary of Memphis
- Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church of Memphis
- Memphis Jewish Federation
- Memphis Jewish Community Center
- Muslim Society of Memphis
- Memphis Islamic Center
- Muslims in Memphis
- India Cultural Center and Temple of Memphis
- Baha’i Faith in Memphis and the Midsouth
Online Biblical and Theological Resources
- Online Christian Library
- Online Theology Related Periodicals
- Online Theology Resources and Books
- Online Theological Resources
- Center for Reformed Theology and Apologetics
- The King James Bible
- The American Bible Society
- Gutenberg Bible at the Ransom Center
The main questions in philosophy are “Who are you?” and “Where does the world come from?” As its Greek derivation suggests, philosophy is all about the love of wisdom, and following these questions through the various avenues of understanding. Questioning is fundamental in the quest to understand any concept, any field of endeavor, anything inside or outside the universe.
If loving wisdom and asking questions is the philosopher’s delight, it is truer still that exploration of the assumptions of EVERYTHING-and we mean everything, is then the calling of the philosopher.
If this is your calling, browse our philosophy books or the websites below to pique your curiosity.
- American Philosophical Association - A site that celebrates philosophy as a scholarly activity.
- International Federation of Philosophical Societies - A non-governmental organization for philosophy.
- Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy - An online, peer-reviewed source.
- Philosophical Weblogs - An online guide to weblogs about philosophy and philosophers.
- Philosophy Bites - Philosophy podcasts.
- Philosopher's Zone - A guide for logic, metaphysics, and ethics.
- Learn Out Loud: Philosophy Podcasts - Contains podcasts, videos, MP3s, and audiobooks concerning philosophy.
- The Philosophical Lexicon - A lexicon for philosophical terms.
- Dictionary.com: Philosophy - A brief definition of philosophy.
- The Society of Christian Philosophers - A site dedicated to the role of Christianity in philosophy.
- Evangelical Philosophical Society - The official website of EPS which strives to appeal to both philosophers and philosophers of religion.
- Philosophy on the EServer - A branch of the English Server, this site contains articles, texts, and humor.
- Philosophical Humor - Jokes and satire about philosophy.
- Philosophy Documentation Center - A database containing bibliographic information on philosophy.
- Philosophy Pages - Includes history, study guides, and timelines.
- Fallacy Files - A site that exploits fallacies in logic.
- Ethics Updates - Contains the latest information on ethics for both professionals and students.
- Guide to Philosophy on the Internet - Contains sources such as philosophers and their biographies, newsgroups, journals, and quotes.
- The Open University: Philosophy Links - A guide to various branches of philosophy such as Classical Philosophy, Postmodernism, and Political Philosophy.
- African Philosophy Resources - A site that contains links to African philosophers, documents, and associations.
- The International Society for Paranormal Research - A society for ghost hunters and researchers of the unexplained.
- An Exploration of Modern Monsters - Vampires, zombies, mummies and more!
- Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization - Contains sighting and reporting information on Bigfoot.
- International Association for the Study of Dreams - An organization dedicated to the study of dreams and dreaming.
- Kidnapped by UFOs? - PBS’s NOVA explores the possibility.
- National UFO Reporting Center - The most up-to-date information on UFOs.
- Museum of Unnatural History - Explores topics that are on the fringes of science.
- Circle Makers - The official website of England’s crop circle makers.
- Legend of Nessie - The official website of the Loch Ness Monster.
- The Skeptic’s Dictionary - An online website and book that addresses various pseudoscientific topics.
- Bermuda Triangle - Information from the Naval Historical Center.
- Snopes - A website that investigates and sometimes debunks urban legends.
- Skeptic - Official website of the Skeptic Society.
Bring your gently used books to the nearest Memphis Public Library & Information Center location. Proceeds from Friends of the Library book sales benefit the Memphis Public Library & Information Center.