- ABOUT US
- COLLECTIONS A - C
- COLLECTIONS D - M
- COLLECTIONS N - Z
- ONLINE RESOURCES
- LINC 211
- SUPPORT THE LIBRARY
- ASK A QUESTION
- SECOND EDITIONS BOOKSTORE
- COMPUTER CLASSES
- MEETING ROOMS
- PROGRAMS & EVENTS
- SPECIAL NEEDS SERVICES
- TTY SERVICE
- WI-FI ACCESS
- WYPL FM 89.3
- MY ACCOUNT
- HELP / CONTACT
Visual Art and Craft
This impressive collection will put you in touch with the great art of the ages with beautiful, glossy art books with full-color reproductions as well as biographies of artists and other art-related materials. There are also instruction guides for how to paint, draw, sculpt, and create other kinds of art. Scholars will relish our collection of criticisms and theories while novices will be attracted to our volumes of art appreciation.
Local Art Appraisal Resources
- Dixon Gallery and Gardens - scroll down to view “Appraisals and Conservation”
- Memphis Brooks Museum of Art: Appraisal Information
- Memphis Art Appraisals
Local Art Museums and Galleries
- Memphis Brooks Museum of Art
- Dixon Gallery and Gardens
- National Ornamental Metal Museum
- Belz Museum of Asian and Judaic Art
- Art Museum at the University of Memphis
- Memphis Black Arts Alliance
- UrbanArt Commission
General Art Links
- National Gallery of Art - Officially gallery of the U.S. located in Washington D.C.
- The National Portrait Gallery - Housed in the Smithsonian
- Architecture and Interior Design for 20th Century America (1935-1955) - Part of the Library of Congress American Memory project
- Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution - Includes exhibit and publication info
- Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive - Housed at the University of California, Berkeley
- Digital Archive of American Architecture - Compiled by Prof. Jeffery Howe at Boston College
- Sidney D. Gamble Photographs - A digital collection from Duke University Libraries
- Google Art Project - Tour the world’s museums from your computer.
- Architecture on the Web - In Italian.
- Cities and Buildings Database - A digital collection from the University of Washington
- American Landscape and Architectural Design, 1850-1920: a Study Collection from the Harvard Graduate School of Design - Part of the Library of Congress American memory project
- Art in the White House - A Nation's Pride - An online guide to art in the White House
- Art History Resources on the Web - Provides timelines and history from ancient art to the present
- Artcyclopedia - An online database of artists and art movements
- Library and Archival Exhibitions on the Web - Brought to you by Smithsonian Libraries
- Images of Women in Ancient Art - Includes images from Greece, Egypt, Palestine, and the Aegean
- The Mother of All Art History Links - Contains guides to finding art museums and schools plus resources for visual collections
Studio Art Resources
- Bill Martin’s Guide to Oil Painting - Info on oil painting including materials and how-to exercises
- Art Instruction Blog - Contains instructions for painting, drawing, and crafts
- Photo Links - Tips and techniques for photographers
- Making Sense of Marcel Duchamp - A timeline of the artist’s work
- Art Nut Sculpture Parks and Gardens - A site that celebrates sculpture parks
- Art Crimes - All about graffiti art
- Web Gallery of Art - A database of European painting and sculpture that covers Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, Romantic, and Neoclassical periods
Crafting and Handmade Art
- Martha Stewart Crafts - The iconic mother of the modern crafter shares techniques and ideas on her webpage.
- Craft Zine - Lots of current and creative how to’s - knitting, sewing, and many many more craft ideas.
- Craftster - An online forum for crafters of all kinds.
- Cut Out and Keep - A social network for crafters who want to trade and share techniques.
- Supernaturale - One of the longest running craft communities on the web.
- Interweave - Head site of a network of excellent crafts and arts magazines. You’ll find loads of patterns and how-tos here.
- Instructables - Step by step how-tos for just about everything, but especially tech hacks, robots, and other geeky, awesome things to do.
- Etsy - The online marketplace to buy and sell handmade goods. Be sure to check the blog for how-tos, featured crafters, interviews, and articles.
- Pinterest - Online inspiration pinboard used for many things, but excellent for finding and keeping links and photos of crafts you love.
- Knitty - Online knitting magazine full of free patterns, contests, and inspiration.
- Crochet Me - Online magazine for those more inclined to crochet.
Bring your gently used books to the nearest Memphis Public Library & Information Center location. Proceeds from Friends of the Library book sales benefit the Memphis Public Library & Information Center.