Storm Resources 2017


Updated 6/23/17

LINC/2-1-1 and the City of Memphis Public Libraries, with support from United Way of the Mid-South, are working  to provide the most current information on assistance available for those affected by the straight line winds of May 27.

Please contact us at 2-1-1 (or 901-415-2790 or 1-855-354-4211) if you have additional information to share or to see if other services may be available. 

LINC/2-1-1 is now open Monday – Thursday, 9 AM to 9 PM, Friday and Saturday 9 AM to 6 PM, and Sunday 1 to 5 PM.

PLEASE CALL the Office of Emergency Management at 636-2525 if you have property damage related to the storm to ensure officials include it in their damage assessment report.


  • City of Memphis Solid Waste Management crews and contractors are close to completing their first pass through the city for storm debris collection.   They will begin a second pass through the City on July 3.  PLEASE BRING ALL REMAINING STORM-RELATED DEBRIS TO THE CURB FOR COLLECTION AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.  Remember — if you hire a private contractor, they are required to haul away debris themselves.
    Here are some general guidelines for City of Memphis storm debris removal
    > When possible, cut tree and crush debris to less than 5 feet long and less than 13 inches in diameter.
    > Make sure all non-vegetative debris (lumber, roofing, insulation) is placed in a separate pile from trees and limbs.  Vegetative debris will be collected separately for mulching,
    > MOVE ALL REMAINING STORM DEBRIS TO THE CURB; storm debris collection is expected to continue until August 1.
    > PLEASE DO NOT PARK WITHIN 10 FEET OF STORM DEBRIS to allow access for collection equipment.
    When disaster strikes, crooks look to exploit the vulnerable. Customers are asked to be vigilant for scammers.
  • Starting temporarily the week of June 19, residents in the unincorporated neighborhoods of Shelby County can place tree debris from the recent storm at the street for removal.  Unincorporated area residents can call the Shelby County Roads and Bridges Department directly at (901) 222-7705 for tree debris removal.  Limbs can be no longer than eight (8) feet.  This service is only for limbs not cut or moved by a private contractor;  hired contractors are required to haul away debirs themselves.  Also, this service is for tree debris only — not for any household trash or construction debris.  Because of the volume of housholds in need of this service, it may take several weeks before limbs can be removed.
  • In Southaven, MS,  a disaster relief group, Serve Southaven, is cleaning storm debris from yards in Southaven at no cost


  • Union Grove Baptist Church
    2285 Frayser Blvd  38127
    Mon – Thur 9 AM – 3 PM
    Providing free canned goods, water and clothing to area residents affected by the power outage.
  • Call 2-1-1 for referral to your closest food pantry.
  • Call 2-1-1 for other food referrals as available.


  • Call Housing Hotline at MIFA  (529-4545) for general homeless shelter referrals for families with children if space is available.
  • Call 2-1-1 for referrals to general homeless shelters for single women and single men.


  • People experiencing emotional distress related to the disaster can all the Disaster Distress Hotline 24/7 at 1-800-985-5990.  Both English- and Spanish-speaking counselors are available


  • Donations to the American Red Cross can be made at the Mid-South Chapter office at 1399 Madison, or online at
  • Neighborhood Christian Center seeking food and financial donations for disaster food assistance. Contact Pamela Cox at 881-6013 or by email at .
  • Union Grove Baptist Church is seeking food and financial donations for disaster food assistance. Food items can be brought to the church at 2285 Frayser Boulevard; financial donations can be made via paypal to .


  • All Memphis Public Library locations welcome area residents in need of a cool place to recharge your batteries, your communication devices and yourself.  Our helpful staff can assist you in finding information and reading materials, using the public internet, computers, copies and printers,  and getting involved in library programs and services.  Many locations have recently expanded hours to better serve you!  Please see for more information.


  • Important MLGW contact information for customers:
    > Outage Reporting: 1-800-268-8648 or 544-6500
    > Emergency: 528-4465 (This number should be treated like 911. Gas leaks, electrical lines down.)
    > Customer Care Center: 820-7878
  • MLGW apps for outage map:
    Customers are encouraged to download the MLGW app for access to the outage map (Android users can go to  and iPhone users can go to ).Other info from Memphis Light, Gas & Water:
  • MLGW is suspending disconnects. The utility continues to thank customers for their patience as workers continue to restore power and reminds customers to consider any downed wire to be dangerous and to not touch.
  • Customers who have damage to their weatherheads are responsible for having the weatherhead
    replaced or repaired by a licensed electrician and inspected by Code Enforcement before MLGW can
    restore power. The weatherhead is usually located above the roofline or attached to the gable or side of
    the house where the customer’s wiring connects to MLGW’s electric lines. The weatherhead is the
    homeowner’s property and therefore is not maintained by MLGW.


  • American Red Cross – contact Mid-South Chapter office at 726-1690 to volunteer.
  • Neighborhood Christian Center – contact Pamela Cox at 881-6013 or by email at


From the Shelby County Health Department:

Food Safety

  • The Shelby County Health Department continues to urge residents and businesses to toss any perishable food in the refrigerator if you experienced a power outage lasting more than 4 hours .
  • Although you may look at the food and think it is safe to eat, meat items and dairy products should be thrown in the garbage.
  • After 4 hours following the loss of power, meat items and dairy products can grow bacteria.
  • Consuming dangerous foodborne bacteria will usually cause illness within 1 to 3 days of eating the contaminated food. However, sickness can also occur within 20 minutes or up to 6 weeks later.
  • Although most people will recover from a foodborne illness within a short period of time, some can develop chronic, severe, or even life-threatening health problems.
  • Symptoms of foodborne illness can include: Vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and flu-like symptoms, such as fever, headache, and body ache.
  • If you think you or a family member has a foodborne illness, contact your healthcare provider immediately.
  • Due to symptoms of a food-borne illness, an individual is at risk of becoming dehydrated.
  • What is dehydration? Dehydration happens when your body doesn’t have as much water as it needs. Without enough, your body can’t function properly. You can have mild, moderate, or severe dehydration depending on how much fluid is missing from your body.
  • Signs and symptoms of Dehydration:
    >  Thirst
    > Dry or sticky mouth
    > Dark yellow urine
    > Dry and cool skin
    > Headache and muscle cramps
  • If you are a food establishment owner and have questions about food safety following Saturday’s storm, call the Shelby County Health Department at (901) 222-9203.
  • f you are a food establishment owner and want to request an inspection due to Saturday’s storm, call the Shelby County Health Department at (901) 222-9203.Heat Safety
    With the rising temps this week, everyone in Shelby County, especially those still experiencing a power outage, need to be mindful of heat exhaustion symptoms.

    • Weakness/Fainting
    • Nausea/Vomiting
    • Headache/Dizziness
    • Myalgia
    • Muscle cramps
    • Heath exhaustion combined with dehydration can be potentially very dangerous.
    • If an individual demonstrates any symptoms of exhaustion, they should immediately cool down by going indoors to a well-ventilated and air-conditioned building, drink plenty of cool water and rest.
    • If symptoms persist for more than 48 hours, individuals are encouraged to contact their healthcare provider.
    • SCHD encourages everyone to check on loved ones, especially those who are still experiencing a power outage, the elderly and anyone with a medical condition who may live alone.
    • If you are outside, or in your home without power, for an extended time, the Shelby County Health Department reminds residents to take the following precautions:
      • Drink 2-4 glasses of cool, nonalcoholic fluids each hour.
      • Wear lightweight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothing when outdoors.
      • Limit your physical activity to morning and evening hours.
      • Start slowly and pick up the pace gradually.
      • Rest often in shady areas.
      • Protect yourself by wearing a wide-brimmed hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen of SPF 15 or higher.

    If you don’t have power in your home, consider visiting a shopping mall, public library, or community center to keep cool during daytime hours.


  • From the Shelby County Office of Preparedness 5/30/17:

The request for a federal disaster declaration is a joint process between local, state, federal officials.

The process begins with a local and state damage assessment to see if damages and impacts in the county meet federally-established per capita loss thresholds, at both the county and state levels.

Shelby County’s per capita loss threshold is $3.348 million and the state’s loss threshold is $9.074 million.

Both of these loss amounts need to be met or surpassed in order for the federal government to consider whether a federal disaster declaration would apply.

If both thresholds are surpassed, then the Governor can request FEMA to conduct a Preliminary Damage Assessment to basically verify the state and local damage assessment figures.

If FEMA verifies the amounts as accurate, the Governor can then request a federal disaster declaration.

Right now local and state officials are gathering damage estimates from Shelby County as well as a number of other counties in East Tennessee who have significant damage from the weekend storms.

Because of all the ongoing damage assessments across Tennessee, it may take many days to arrive at a total and to see if the impacted counties, Shelby included, and the state surpass the federal loss thresholds.

If a federal declaration is granted, assistance for this storm most likely will come in the form of reimbursements to state and local governments, and certain private, nonprofit organizations for emergency work and the repair or replacement of disaster-damaged facilities. The categories of help to state and local governments can include work or repairs for debris removal, emergency protective measures, roads and bridges, water control facilities, buildings and equipment, utilities, and recreational facilities.

Other federal assistance may also be available from FEMA or other federal entities. However, the granting of any federal assistance still hinges on the completion of a local and state damage assessment, and then a Preliminary Damage Assessment on the part of FEMA.

Please call LINC/2-1-1 at 2-1-1 (or 901-415-2790 or 1-855-324-4211) for additional updates on area programs and services.