Tax Assistance 2017 (AARP and FTP)

PLEASE CALL 2-1-1 (alternate numbers: 901-415-2790 or toll-free 855-354-4211) for information about free tax assistance!

Our helpful LINC/2-1-1 staff are generally available to assist you Monday – Thursday, 10 AM – 8 PM, Friday and Saturday, 10 AM – 5 PM, and Sunday, 1 – 5 PM.


Updated as of 4/28/17

*** The filing deadline to submit 2016 tax returns was Tuesday, April 18, 2017. ***

To our knowledge. all AARP and FTP free tax assistance sites in our area are closed.  Please call 2-1-1 in May for information on a possible extended tax season site open later in May.

As of April 18, a few limited tax forms may still be available at Memphis Public Library branch locations and in the Business/Sciences Department, 3rd floor, at the Benjamin L. Hooks Central Library.   Customers may also come to the Business/Sciences Department to make copies of forms from the Reproductible Notebook, or may print many of the tax forms from the URS website at

For IRS tips on what do do after the tax filing deadline, see

How can I get help filing my 2016 taxes?

AARP Foundation’s Tax-Aide program provides IRS-certified volunteers who provide FREE basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals. The service is available to taxpayers with low and moderate income, with special attention to those age 60 and older.  AARP sites see taxpayers on a walk-in basis, first come/first served, without regard to age.  Tax filers are advised to come early to these sites as there is a limit to how many people can be seen at each site each day, and sign-up sheets are often used.

The Free Tax Prep (FTP)* program provided in our area by United Way of the Mid-South offers FREE tax help to people of low and moderate income (household income $54,000 a year or less), people with disabilities, the elderly and people with limited English proficiency who need assistance preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.  Some FTP sites are walk-in, first come first served; some take appointments; others are a combination of both walk-in and appointments.  Tax filers are advised to come early to the walk-in sites as there is a limit to how many people can be seen at each site each day.  *This program was formerly known as the VITA program.

ALL TAX FILERS at the AARP and FTP sites MUST bring
1. Their Social Security Cards OR
2. An earnings statement from Social Security (1099-SSA) OR
3. A Medicare card with the letter “A” after the number which reflects they are getting benefits under their own record.

General filing information

What documents do I need to bring with me to get my taxes filed?

The IRS has prepared a list of documents needed by tax preparers:

AARP and FTP tax preparers can prepare tax returns with the following forms:

  • Wages, salaries, etc. (Form W-2)
  • Interest Income (Form 1099-INT)
  • Dividends Received (Form 1099-DIV)
  • State Tax Refunds (Form 1099-G)
  • Unemployment Benefits (Form 1099-G)
  • IRA Distributions (Form 1099-R)
  • Pension Income (Forms 1099-R, RRB-1099, CSA-1099)
  • Social Security Benefits (Form SSA-1099)
  • Simple Capital Gain/Loss (Form 1099-B)
  • Sale of Home (Form 1099-S) limited
  • Self-employed Income (Form 1099-MISC) limited
  • Gambling Winnings (Form W-2G)
  • Cancellation of Debt (Form 1099-C) limited
  • Health Savings Accounts (Form 1099-SA) limited
  • Itemized Deductions limited
  • Education Credits (Form 1098-T)
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Earned Income Credit
  • ACA Statements (Forms 1095-A, B or C)

AARP and FTP tax preparers can NOT prepare tax returns with the following forms:

  • Schedule C with losses
  • Complicated Schedule D (capital gains and losses)
  • Form SS-5 (request for Social Security Number)
  • Form 4684 (casualty and theft loss)
  • Form 8606 (non-deductible IRA)*  AARP can assist with Part 1 of this form ONLY. 
  • Form 8615 (minor’s investment income)
  • Form SS-8 (determination of worker status for purposes of federal employment taxes and income tax withholding)
  • Parts 4 & 5 of Form 8962 (Premium Tax Credits)

What if I want to file my taxes myself online?

If your household income is less than $62,000, you can also go to the My Free taxes site sponsored by United Way Worldwide and H & R Block to find free tax filing software:

What if I’m not eligible for the free tax filing but need someone to file my taxes for me?

Where can I get the paper tax forms?
The IRS is moving toward e-filing, and is moving away from the use of paper forms. In early 2017, the IRS will make forms for the 2016 tax year available on its website at . Note that there are also accessible tax forms and publications that can be downloaded or viewed online in text-only, Braille ready files, browser-friendly HTML, accessible PDF, and large print. Also, IRS eBooks for mobile devices are provided in the ePub format at that same site.

A limited number of a very few tax forms — 1040, 1040A and 1040EZ, and the instructions for those forms – will be made available from the IRS for distribution through public libraries in early 2017 AS SOON AS THEY ARE SENT BY THE IRS.   Customers may also be able to make copies of other needed paper tax forms through asking for assistance at the public service desk. Librarians will let you know if a reference copy of the form you need is available for copying, or if you will need to print it from the IRS website.  Copies of the most popular forms will be available for copying at the Central Library (Business/Sciences desk on third floor).  Copies may also be available at library branches; call the branch ahead of time to confirm availability.

Where do I send my paper tax forms?



How can I get a copy of my tax return?
Tax preparers at the AARP and FTP sites will provide tax filers a copy of their tax return once it is completed and submitted.  If you need a replacement copy, you will need to go back to the site where your 2016 taxes were filed.  AARP sites can also provide tax filers a copy of their 2015 returns IF the return was filed at that particular site.

Tax filers can also order copies of tax returns and transcripts of tax returns from the IRS.   For information on ordering copies of tax returns from the IRS, see    Note that there is a $50 charge for each return and the IRS says they can take up to 75 days to process such requests.

The IRS can also provide a Tax Return Transcript for many returns free of charge.  The transcript provides most of the line entries from the original tax return and usually contains the information that a third party (such as a mortgage company) requires.  See Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return, on the IRS website, or you can request transcripts by phone (1-800-908-9946) or mail.   For more information, see .

How can I contact the IRS?

For general tax information, call 1-800-829-1040.  For information about the status of your tax refund, go to .  You will need to provide your social security number, filing status and amount of refund.

The IRS Where’s My Refund? link at and the IRS2Go app will be updated with projected deposit dates for early EITC and ACTC refund filers a few days after February 15.  Taxpayers will not see a refund date on Where’s My Refund? or through their filing software until then.

IF you are not waiting for EITC or ACTC refunds and it has been more than 21 days since you filed your taxes electronically (or someone else did so electronically for you), OR it has been more than 6 weeks since you mailed your paper return, you can call 1-800-829-0922 to check on the status of your refund.

The Memphis office is located at 22 North Front Street in the Falls Building and is generally open Monday – Friday, 8:30 Am – 4:30 PM.  IRS staff do NOT provide free tax preparation assistance.  Here is a list of the services available at that office:

Many tax-related questions are answered on the IRS website at