The Humanities department staff can help you locate sources to aid in the appraisal of your items, and we can refer you to appraisal professionals. We cannot, however, appraise your items personally and are not responsible for items brought into the library.
Visit our catalog for a listing of all of our collectible books. Also, browse this list of frequently used collectible websites.
Appraisal Resources and Price Guides
- Sotheby’s – International auction house extraordinaire. Perfect for appraising high-dollar items.
- Christie’s – Fine art appraisal and more.
- American Society of Appraisers – Find an appraiser near you or learn more about becoming one.
- Appraisers Association of America – Find an appraiser focusing on fine and decorative arts, including books.
- Antique Appraisals – Specialists in antiques and decorative arts, fine art, furniture, porcelain, silver, collectibles, vintage automobiles, oriental rugs, books and manuscripts.
- Kovel’s.com – THE collectibles price guide.
- Antique Trader – Online home of premier antique magazine featuring articles, news, and classifieds.
- Collector’s Weekly – Information and identification assistance for every kind of collectible.
- Collect.com – Collect comics, jewelry, ceramics, art? Use this site to price it, buy it, or sell it.
- Antiques Roadshow Glossary – Decode your memorabilia with this excellent glossary.
- Ebay – Use Ebay to compare collectibles prices among sellers.
General Antique Resources
- Curioscape – A directory of over 5,000 online antique shops.
- World Collectors Net – The social networking site for collectors – includes features, message boards, and collectors blogs.
- Collectionantique – “A national directory of antique dealer supplies and services and collectible dealers providing shop locations, addresses, phone numbers all across the state.”
- Antiques and Collectibles National Association – “This is the official site of Antique dealers and collectors. It provides mall and shop owner information, show promotion information and a promotion mall/shop/dealer locator.”
Specialty Antiques and Collectibles
- Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (AABA)
- Book Finder – Searches and compares books using a multitude of search engines.
- Bibliofind – Search for rare and out of print books using this search engine provided by Amazon
- Faded Giant Guide to Rare and Old Book Values – Some great resources here, especially the author’s signature directory.
- Internet Public Library Rare Books FAQ – Resources and strategies for book collectors.
- AbeBooks – Buy, sell, and get information on rare books from the people with passion for books. Don’t miss the videos!
- Your Old Books – Don’t let the title fool you – this website is presented by the Rare Books and Manuscripts Section (RBMS) of the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL), a division of the American Library Association (ALA). Get started learning about evaluating your own collection today!
- IOBA Book Terminology – The Independent Online Booksellers Association helps you decode book speak (like biopredation, provenance and disiderata) with this helpful glossary.
Cards, Stamps, Autographs
- Universal Autograph Collectors Club – Info for collecting and authenticating autographs
- Professional Stamp Experts – Offers price guides, authentications, and grades.
- Trading Card Central – For both sports and non-sports cards.
Cars and Military
- Hemmings – The world’s largest collector-car marketplace.
- Antique Automobile Club of America – For antique car collectors and enthusiasts.
- Old Cars Weekly – Online publication for antique car collectors.
- Military Trader and Vehicles – The military collecting destination.
Coins and Money
- Society of Paper Money Collectors, Inc. – All about paper money.
- World Currency Museum – Find images of bank notes from around the world.
- Numismatic News – Online publication for coin enthusiasts, published by Antique Trader.
Comics, Music, Toys, and Pop Culture
- National Antique Doll Dealers Association – Offers guidelines and resources for doll collecting.
- TheForce.Net – Star Wars collecting news.
- Comic Book Collecting Association – For comic book enthusiasts.
- CBGXtra – Online comic book buying guide.
- Goldmine – Online record collecting magazine.
Glass and Home Furnishings
- American Cut Glass – For collectors of cut glass.
- American Furniture Collecting Guide – Brought to you by the professionals at Christie’s.
- Antique and Vintage Furniture – Part of the Collector’s Weekly site.
- The Classic Typewriter Page – A goldmine for typewriter enthusiasts.
- Glass Insulators – An online guide for collectors of early communication insulators.
- Beckett Marketplace – The sports collector’s marketplace.
- Sports Memorabilia – Ever wonder what that signed baseball or basketball jersey is worth? Find out here.
- Sports Collectors Digest – Magazine resource about cards, memorabilia and more.
- Memphis Coin Club – Memphis’s resident coin fans host two shows a year and have a special collection of coin related reference materials in the Humanities department.
- Mid South Coin Co., Inc. – Supplier of rare and collectible coins with appraisal services available.
- Comics and Collectibles – Memphis’s largest comic book store. Check out the message boards to find the rare books you’ve been looking for, or to post what you have.
- Memphis Antique Appraisals – Accredited and certified appraisal services.
- Burke’s Books – A local bookstore specializing in new, used, and rare books, including first editions and signed books.