Shakespeare said “All the world’s a stage”. Here in the Humanities Department, that stage is constructed on an extensive collection covering the entertainment industry: books, CDs, DVDs and videos from Hollywood to New York and across the globe. You will also find popular biographies of your favorite entertainers, comics, dancers, and musicians, as well as companion books to television shows, popular films, and music history. We are also proud of our theatre selection, which contains scripts of plays showcased here in Memphis and all over the world, books on the craft of theatre, as well as technical material about stage lighting, set decoration, costuming and make-up.
The links below will connect you to many of Memphis’s playhouses and theaters. There are also links to major theatre and film resources, as well as abundant resources about Memphis’s great local theatre, film, and radio scene.
- Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Official site for the Oscars.
- Motion Picture Association of America – They not only provide the familiar ratings for the movies we see, they advocate for intellectual property rights, fair trade, and great film.
- Hollywood Foreign Press Association – Official website of the Golden Globes.
- American Film Institute – Dedicated to the preservation of the motion picture.
- International Documentary Association – An international nonfiction filmmaker’s association dedicated to providing resources, information and support.
- IndieWire – A news magazine devoted to independent film.
- Sight and Sound Magazine – The international film magazine, brought to you by the British Film Institute.
- Slashfilm – Blogging the Reel World – an irreverent look at film and pop culture.
- Film School Rejects – News, reviews, trailers and essays for the film obsessive.
- Internet Movie Database – The best place to find movie facts anywhere. Plus a very active online community.
- Rotten Tomatoes – Not sure if you should see that movie this weekend? Rotten Tomatoes gathers all the reviews for you, and even gives you a collective rating.
- Golden Raspberry Award – Awards for the very worst in film. Who gets the Razzie this year?
- Film Underground – The independent filmmaker’s technical information goldmine.
- OnLocation: Memphis International Film Festival
- Memphis Film Society
- FuelFilm: Memphis
- Live From Memphis
- Memphis and Shelby County Film/TV Commission
- Internet Broadway Database – Official site for Broadway theater info.
- Tony Awards – Official site of the American Theatre Wing’s Tony Awards
- Playbill – The online home of the theatre magazine.
- Theatrecrafts – An online glossary of technical theatre terminology.
- USITT – United States Institute for Theatre Technology
- TheatreLinks – Thousands of link connecting you to educational resources, plays, theatre history, stagecraft, and more. Compiled by The Drama Teacher.
- Shakespeare Resource Center – A collection of links to help you interpret and enjoy Shakespeare even more.
LOCAL THEATRE AND DANCE
- Orpheum Memphis – Memphis’s historic theatre. Check to see what’s playing this season
- Playhouse on the Square – Memphis’s resident theatre house
- Theatre Memphis – One of the oldest and most successful community theatres in the country.
- TheatreWorks Memphis – Home of over a dozen resident theatre companies
- Hattiloo Theatre – The home of black repertory theatre in Memphis
- Opera Memphis – Memphis’s regional opera center
- University of Memphis Department of Theatre – Live theater and dance at the U of M campus
- Rhodes College McCoy Theatre – Theatre brought to you by Rhodes College
- Buckman Performing and Fine Arts Center – Housed at St. Mary’s Episcopal School. Offers a wide variety of shows for all ages
- Germantown Performing Arts Center – Music, dance, and theatre
- Germantown Community Theatre – Community theatre out east
- Bartlett Community Theatre – Volunteer theater since 1982
- Harrell Performing Arts Theatre – Collierville’s theatre
- Tennessee Theatre Association – Supports theatre throughout Tennessee
- Ballet Memphis – Memphis’s ballet company
- KQOX: The Voice of Memphis City Schools 88.5 FM
- WEVL:Memphis Volunteer Radio 89.9 FM
- WYPL: Your Public Library – MPLIC’s Radio Station 89.3 FM
- WKNO: Public Broadcasting for the Midsouth 91.1 FM
- WUMR: University of Memphis 91.7 FM
- On the Radio: Memphis Radio Guide
- Radio Locator – Searchable source for internet radio.
- National Public Radio – Online site for NPR’s news, arts and lifestyle reporting.
- FCC – Federal Communications Commission
- Academy of Television Arts and Sciences – You know them as the Emmys.
- WYPL TV 18 – Memphis – The library’s in-house television station.
- Memphis and Shelby County Film/TV Commission
- TV Guide – Find out what’s on.
- Station Index: The Broadcasting Website – Memphis Station Guide
- PBS – Public Broadcasting Service
- Archive of American Television – The legends of television history discuss their work in hundreds of interviews.