901Voices, sponsored by the Plough Foundation, collects oral histories, reminiscences, and family stories from Memphians in order to enhance the Library’s Memphis and Shelby County Room’s local history collections. These oral histories not only preserve Memphis history but also help build a stronger sense of community.
Reserve your slot today to preserve your voice for generations to come!
- The 901Voices recording room is located on the 4th floor History Department at the Benjamin L. Hooks Central Library.
- The room is available to reserve from 10am to 6pm Monday through Thursday; 10am to 5pm Friday and Saturday.
- All reservations must be made at least one week in advance to ensure staff availability.
- Limited to 2 interviewees and 1 interviewer.
- Since these oral histories with be used by people of all ages, please refrain from hate speech and foul language, unless when used to relay historic events or historic language.
- No food or drinks are allowed in the Memphis Room, or the Oral History booth.
- Interviews will be limited to 45 minutes, and must be scheduled in advanced. No exceptions.
- Release forms need to reviewed and signed before interview begins.
- Oral History Booth is limited to oral history recording only.
- For more information, please call The History Reference Desk at (901) 415-2742.