- ABOUT US
- COLLECTIONS A - C
- COLLECTIONS D - M
- COLLECTIONS N - Z
- ONLINE RESOURCES
- LINC 211
- SUPPORT THE LIBRARY
- ASK A QUESTION
- SECOND EDITIONS BOOKSTORE
- COMPUTER CLASSES
- MEETING ROOMS
- PROGRAMS & EVENTS
- SPECIAL NEEDS SERVICES
- TTY SERVICE
- WI-FI ACCESS
- WYPL FM 89.3
- MY ACCOUNT
- HELP / CONTACT
So you need plans for Saturday? Do those plans include eating? Maybe some music? Fun with the kids? Mind stimulation? You can find all of that in one spot - cooking demonstrations; food trucks; a live band; children, tween, AND teen activities plus great reading! View the full actvity list below.
Where could this FREE event be?! At the Benjamin L. Hooks Central Library.
On Saturday, October 6 the Bookstock Festival will be held from 10:30 am - 4:30 pm. This event encourages reading for all ages and gives local and aspiring authors a platform to showcase their work. Event coordinators plan to make this year's Bookstock the most festive it has ever been! There will be children's activities, music, food, and more. Over 50 authors will participate in a showcase with various activities held all over the library. This year's keynote speaker is Kristen Iversen, author of Full Body Burden: Growing Up in the Nuclear Shadow of Rocky Flats; she will speaking at 1:00 pm.
Thanks to the support of the Friends of the Library and the Memphis Library Foundation for assistance in booking more well-known authors and providing services for those in attendance.
*This year's authors include:
Arnetta Abraham Miss Robbie's House
Scott Anderson The Uncommon Thread
Angela Kay Austin Give Me Everything
Marisa Baggett Sushi Secrets (cooking demonstration available)
Toya Bailey Karma
Roger Bethel Winning by Default
Steve Bradshaw Bluff City Butcher
Steve Brannon The Two Agreements
PJ Ceren Joseph
BJ Chester-Tamayo Alcenia's Healing the Soul (cooking demonstration available)
Miriam DeCosta-Willis Black Memphis Landmarks
Cynthia Elliott ABCs That Make Cent$
Shawn Eskridge A Walk with My Father
Mike Freeman Clarence Saunders and the Founding of Piggly Wiggly
Don Furr Quest for the Nail Prints
John Gibson How to Buy a Business Without Being Had
Darcie Goodwin Neti The Yeti Saves His Mountain
Annie Grays Dear Miss Annie
Helen Harper Tick-Tock No Time to Lose
Londa Hayden Date, Pray, Wait
Jae Henderson Someday Too
Jerry Hollingsworth Wings of Justice
Timothy Huebner The Southern Judicial Tradition: State Judges and Sectional Distinctiveness, 1790-1890
Kristen Iversen Full Body Burden: Growing Up in the Nuclear Shadow of Rocky Flats
Paul & Angela Knipple The World in a Skillet (cooking demonstration available)
Charlie Lambert Capturing the Reel World
Shelia Lipsey My Sister, My Momma, My Wife
Don McClure Santa Claus vs. The Aliens
Memphis Music Commission A Taste of Memphis Music: The Cookbook
Marie Moore Shore Excursion
Megan Mottley Glamour Girls: How to Get the Ultimate Makeover
Richard Murff Memphians
James Paavola They Gotta Sleep Sometime: Murder in Memphis
Laticia Ross The Cellular Effect
Sandra Russell The Nestor: The Story of Dr. John R. Frayser
Courtney Santo The Roots of the Olive Tree
A.J. Scudiere Phoenix
Lucy Shaw Be Not Anxious
Albert Simpson, Jr. The Adventures of Billy, Ras, and Al
Candace Spicer No Box: A Journey to Professional Enlightenment
Dorothy Thomas On the Outside Looking In
Timothy Thompson The Locker Room
Shuwanna White The Strength From Within
With this being a family friendly event, there will be activities for everyone. For the younger audience, there will be:
- Face Painting
- Make a Rubbing
- Make a Book
- *Authors (Alice Faye Duncan, Barry Wolverton, Nick Toombs aka Magic Mr. Nick)
- Patty Carreras, performing artist
- An inside look at producing a national teen magazine with Justine Magazine
- Teen Writers Workshop
Are you ready for the SENSORY OVERLOAD?.... IT'S ALL FREE!
A special thank you also goes to the Junior League who will be providing volunteers.
Use your gas to make one stop that covers all of the bases on October 6th, 2012 - Bookstock, where book lovers rock!
*These great authors will not only be present to talk to and discuss their latest books, they will also have their latest work available for purchase and sign your book!
- 10:00am - 12:30pm
- Teen Writing Workshop (Humanities Dept. 2nd Floor)
- 10:30am - 11:30am
- All About Memphis (Memphis Room 4th Floor)
- Want to know who is who in Memphis? Come meet our fiction and nonfiction writers whose books feature truth or tales about Memphis.
- 11:00am - 12:00pm
- Award-winning author Alice Faye Duncan will read and lead an activity for children, in the Children's Department
- Storytime Room, and will sign her newest book, The Delta Blues: A Coloring Book.
- 12:00pm - 1:00pm
- Author Barry Wolverton will read from his book Neversink in Children's Department Storytime Room. Stay for the Q & A with this first time author whose book is receiving critical acclaim.
- 11:15am - 12:00pm
- Need a motivational boost? Be inspired and invigorated as author Candace Spicer shares a message on how to be professionally and personally fulfilled. (Conference Room A)
- 12:00pm - 12:40pm
- What's Love Got to Do with It? Panel discussion by Romance authors. (Conference Room A)
- 11:30am - 12:00am
- Local cookbook authors Paul and Angela Knipple will make corn salsa and discuss the origin of other recipes from their book World in a Skillet. (L-56)
- 11:30am - 2:30pm
- Memphis Food Trucks-Memphis Munchies and Stickem (Library parking lot)
- 12:00pm - 12:30pm
- Sushi making demonstration with Marisa Baggett, author of Sushi Secrets. (L-56)
- 11:30am - 12:30pm
- Live Music by Stereo Joe (Front of Library)
- 1:30pm - 2:30pm
- Congressman Steve Cohen will speak on the importance of literacy and love of reading.
- 1:00pm - 1:30pm
- Keynote speaker Kristen Iversen (Conference Rooms A - C)
- Ms. Iversen will discuss A Passion for Story: From Book Idea to Finished Manuscript and her book Full Body Burden: Growing Up In The Nuclear Shadow of Rocky Flats.
- 1:30pm - 2:00pm
- Book signing
- 1:00 - 2:00pm
- Art for Life's Sake (Children's Department Storytime Room) Dr. Hattie Isen will bring her young music scholars for a poetry and spoken word performance.
- 2:00pm- 3:00pm
- Magic Mr. Nick (Children's Department Storytime Room) Magic Mr. Nick, author of Magic Tricks You Too Can Do, will astonish all with his magic , and speak to children about reading, writing, and publishing
- 2:00pm - 2:30pm
- Cooking Demo by B.J. Chester Tamayo from Alcenia's (L-56)
- 2:30pm - 3:15pm
- Come Experience the Ultimate Makeover! Learn practical tips on how to enhance your outer beauty with Megan Mottley. (Conference Room A)
- 3:15pm - 4:00pm
- Join Charlie Lambert for some Oscar film trivia from his book Capturing The Reel World. (Conference Room A)
- Get a behind-the-scenes look at national teen magazine, Justine
- 2:00pm -4:00pm
- Make Your Own Teen Zine (Humanities Dept. 2nd Floor)
- 3:00pm - 4:00pm
- Performance artist Patty Carreras (Children's Department Storytime Room) Nationally renowned performer Patty Carreras is sure to delight with her presentation of Anansi Stories. Be prepared for participatory fun as she brings the trickster to life!
- 10:00am - 4:30pm
- Author's Scavenger Hunt. Complete the questions, get authors signature and enter drawing great prizes! Purchase and have your book signed by authors.
- 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Create a Book- Children's Department (write/ draw/ bind a book to keep!)
- 10:00 - 4:00pm
- Make a rubbing from the public art sculpture at the library entrance
- 10:00am - 3:30pm
- Mural Making (Children's Courtyard)
- 10:30am - 12:30pm
- Balloon Artist (Children's Courtyard)
- 12:30pm - 2:30pm
- Face Painting - (Children's Courtyard)
What's New @ Your Memphis Public Library & Information Center
Bring your gently used books to the nearest Memphis Public Library & Information Center location. Proceeds from Friends of the Library book sales benefit the Memphis Public Library & Information Center.