Asphalt Plant Ground Worker
Hernando, MS 38632
Our history goes back to 1939 when William E. Lehman and George B. Roberts bought the Mississippi and Memphis operations of Carey-Reed Company, a company started by Mr. Roberts’ brother-in-law in 1907. The new Lehman-Roberts Company located their first asphalt plant and office on Front Street in downtown Memphis. The headquarters moved to the 1111 Wilson street address in 1943 and remained there until its recent move to 670 S. Cooper in September 2019. In 1971, the company became affiliated with Memphis Stone and Gravel Company through common ownership.
Still a family-owned business, Patrick Nelson leads as President in our dedication to the manufacturing of quality hot mix asphalt and the superior placement of that pavement. Anchoring our company’s efforts are the core values of stewardship, humility, continuous improvement and relationships. With manufacturing facilities throughout West Tennessee and North Mississippi, Lehman-Roberts Company specializes in construction projects ranging from commercial parking lots to miles of interstate highway paving throughout the Mid-South.
Pay Rate Starts: $15.00 an hour
We have committed to become a leader in the highway construction and aggregate industries by rewarding our most valuable resource… our employees! As part of the family, we offer:
- Paid Vacations
- 6 Paid Holidays
- Earned Paid Time Off
- Medical/ Dental (reduced premium cost with participation in Wellness Program)
- Life Insurance
- 401K w/ Company Match
- Profit Sharing
- Flexible Spending Account
- Additional Voluntary Life Insurance, Short/ Long Term Disability and Vision
Asphalt Plant Ground Worker Review
Performs daily maintenance duties at Asphalt Plant, including greasing plant components and cleaning material build-up.
Asphalt Plant Ground Worker Responsibilities
- Learn and exhibit company core values, resulting in a cooperative, positive and supportive attitude.
- Must work in safe, professional manner, following company Safety Program policies and OSHA regulations. Wearing of personal protective equipment is required at all time.
- Perform regular maintenance on asphalt plant and field operations equipment. This will include climbing ladders at considerable heights and carrying heaving objects.
- Monitor plant components and notify foreman of changes or parts in need of repair.
- Must be willing to accept training on plant systems, equipment operation, and repair of plant equipment, etc.
- Follow directions of foreman as to daily tasks and expectations for each job site.
- Complete responsibilities in a heavy industrial environment.
- Must promote continuous improvement of workplace safety and have good recognition skills of potential hazards.
Asphalt Plant Ground Worker Requirements
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Possess a valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record.
- Must pass a “fit-for-duty” physical exam and drug
- Must have dependable transportation to and from work.
- Must be punctual and dependable, good manager of time and thrive within a flexible work schedule that can include early start times, late quit times, weekend’s and occasional night work.
- Show ability and willingness to work in a team environment.
- Familiarity with heavy construction equipment and have basic mechanical understanding and skills.
Work Conditions/ Physical Requirements
- Climbing ladders/ stairs with hand rails and working at heights up to 75 feet on platforms with guard rails
- Carrying objects up to 75 lbs. for approximately 20 feet.
- Exposed to all weather elements
- Exposed to high noise levels
- Travel to various plant locations in North Mississippi and West Tennessee.
- Must understand SAFETY and be committed:
- To the health and safety of all employees, subcontractors, customers, and the community;
- To promoting a comprehensive safety culture;
- To individual accountability for following our safety standards; and
- To actively support and participate in a zero accident environment.
- Must be committed to learning the meaning of the company CORE VALUES, as well as their application to the specific, daily duties of the job:
- Humility – freedom from arrogance with a genuine respect for others and their perspectives.
- Relationships – giving priority to people and teamwork over processes.
- Stewardship – taking personal responsibility for the proper care and sharing of company assets.
- Continuous Improvement – committed to being open-minded, growing and learning.
- Must learn the principles of TOTAL PROCESS RELIABILITY (TPR) and implement them into the daily work routine, in order to contribute to maximum equipment reliability, increased production and reduced maintenance costs.
It is the policy of Lehman-Roberts Company not to discriminate against any applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex (to include pregnancy and sexual orientation), gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, or because he or she is a protected veteran or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
The statements included in this job posting are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Lehman-Roberts Company and/or the Memphis Stone & Gravel Company and their designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-hire drug testing.
Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and veterans.