Construction and Traffic Control Worker
Memphis, TN 38104
LEHMAN-ROBERTS COMPANY – A PROUD TRADITION SINCE 1939
Our history goes back to 1939 when William E. Lehman and George B. Roberts bought the Mississippi and Memphis operations of Carey-Reed Company, a company started by Mr. Roberts’ brother-in-law in 1907. The new Lehman-Roberts Company located their first asphalt plant and office on Front Street in downtown Memphis. The headquarters moved to the 1111 Wilson street address in 1943 and remained there until its recent move to 670 S. Cooper in September 2019. In 1971, the company became affiliated with Memphis Stone and Gravel Company through common ownership.
Still a family-owned business, Patrick Nelson leads as President in our dedication to the manufacturing of quality hot mix asphalt and the superior placement of that pavement. Anchoring our company’s efforts are the core values of stewardship, humility, continuous improvement, and relationships. With manufacturing facilities throughout West Tennessee and North Mississippi, Lehman-Roberts Company specializes in construction projects ranging from commercial parking lots to miles of interstate highway paving throughout the Mid-South.
Base Starting Pay: $15 hr. On the job training! Must be able to meet requirements. Pay increase after 90 days, based on certain criteria.
We have committed to become a leader in the highway construction and aggregate industries by rewarding our most valuable resource… our employees! As part of the family, we offer:
- Paid Vacations
- 6 Paid Holidays
- Earned Paid Time Off
- Medical/ Dental (reduced premium cost with participation in Wellness Program)
- Life Insurance
- 401K w/ Company Match
- Profit Sharing
- Flexible Spending Account
- Additional Voluntary Life Insurance, Short/ Long Term Disability and Vision
Construction and Traffic Control Worker Review
The Asphalt Construction Crew Laborer/ Traffic Control Labor performs tasks involving physical labor at heavy highway and road construction projects and works as part of a construction team to divert traffic from the work area while ensuring (1) that traffic stays out of the way of the workers; (2) the safety of the pedestrian and motoring public; and (3) his or her own safety.
Construction and Traffic Control Worker Responsibilities
- Perform all tasks associated with traffic management, as well as assist with the road construction project.
- Accurately layout a traffic management scheme in accordance with basic rules, from a generic traffic control diagram or formal traffic management plan.
- Be able to set up cones, barrels, signs, temporary barricades and other traffic control and safety devices; as well as the loading & unloading and care & maintenance of these devices.
- Must be able to safely flag and direct traffic.
- Assist with the placement, movement and dismantling of signs, barricades, cones and other traffic control and safety devices.
- Follow directions of foreman as to daily tasks and expectations for each specific job site. Be able to work with leaders, managers, state DOT inspectors, auditors, and officials.
- Work collaboratively as a team with foreman, fellow crew members and management.
Construction and Traffic Control Worker Requirements
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Must be authorized to work anywhere in the U.S. without sponsorship now or in the future.
- Must pass a “fit-for-duty” physical exam and full panel drug screen
- Valid unrestricted driver’s license required.
- Willingness and ability to work varied schedules day, night, and/or weekend that meet Lehman-Roberts Company’s customer needs.
- Willingness to work outdoors in extreme conditions, including hot, cold, high noise levels, and exposure to dust and fumes and able to stand 8-12 hours in the extreme conditions.
- Must be able to understand work directions and communicate effectively with job site supervisors and fellow employees.
- Experience with asphalt paving preferred, but not required.
- Traffic Control Technician certification a plus but not required.
Work Conditions/ Physical Requirements
- Level asphalt/aggregate to grade specifications using rakes, shovels, and trowels.
- Dig, spread, level, and remove construction materials. May require to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Lift, carry and hold materials, tools, and supplies. Walk and stand for long periods of time and perform strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions.
- Accurately and regularly complete site checks and monitor traffic behavior and/or flow to ensure that safety is always maintained.
- Be alert and aware of everything going on around the construction area, consistently following safe work practices
- Be able to tolerate a loud environment
- Be able to follow and comprehend road traffic diagrams, regulations, and instructions
- During the course of duties the traffic control technician may be subject to verbal abuse from motorists, and are expected to act in a professional manner and not permit themselves to be provoked. The public must be treated with respect
Relatable Work Experience: Applicants with the following experience may have enough relatable skills to be considered for this opening.
- Landscape Worker
- Outdoor Laborer
- Utility Worker
- Concrete Worker
- Commercial/ Residential Construction Trainee/ Apprentice
- Must understand SAFETYand be committed:
- To the health and safety of all employees, subcontractors, customers, and the community;
- To promoting a comprehensive safety culture;
- To individual accountability for following our safety standards; and
- To actively support and participate in a zero accident environment.
- Must be committed to learning the meaning of the company CORE VALUES, as well as their application to the specific, daily duties of the job:
- Humility– freedom from arrogance with a genuine respect for others and their perspectives.
- Relationships– giving priority to people and teamwork over processes.
- Stewardship– taking personal responsibility for the proper care and sharing of company assets.
- Continuous Improvement– committed to being open-minded, growing and learning.
- Must learn the principles of TOTAL PROCESS RELIABILITY (TPR)and implement them into the daily work routine, in order to contribute to maximum equipment reliability, increased production and reduced maintenance costs.
It is the policy of Lehman-Roberts Company not to discriminate against any applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex (to include pregnancy and sexual orientation), gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, or because he or she is a protected veteran or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
The statements included in this job posting are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Lehman-Roberts Company and/or the Memphis Stone & Gravel Company and their designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-hire drug testing.
Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and veterans.