Motor Grader Operator
Memphis, TN 38104
LEHMAN-ROBERTS COMPANY – A PROUD TRADITION SINCE 1939
Our history goes back to 1939 when W. E. Lehman and George B. Roberts bought the Mississippi and Memphis operations of Carey-Reed Company, a company started by Mr. Roberts’ brother-in-law in 1907. The new Lehman-Roberts Company located their first asphalt plant and office on Front Street in downtown Memphis. The headquarters moved to the 1111 Wilson street address in 1943 and remained there until its recent move to 670 S. Cooper in September 2019. In 1971, the company became affiliated with Memphis Stone and Gravel Company through common ownership.
Still a family-owned business, Patrick Nelson leads as President in our dedication to the manufacturing of quality hot mix asphalt and the superior placement of that pavement. Anchoring our company’s efforts are the core values of stewardship, humility, continuous improvement, and relationships. With manufacturing facilities throughout West Tennessee and North Mississippi, Lehman-Roberts Company specializes in construction projects ranging from commercial parking lots to miles of interstate highway paving throughout the Mid-South.
We have committed to become a leader in the highway construction and aggregate industries by rewarding our most valuable resource… our employees! As part of the family, we offer:
- Paid Vacations
- 6 Paid Holidays
- Earned Paid Time Off
- Medical/ Dental (reduced premium cost with participation in Wellness Program)
- Life Insurance
- 401K w/ Company Match
- Profit Sharing
- Flexible Spending Account
- Additional Voluntary Life Insurance, Short/ Long Term Disability and Vision
Asphalt Motor Grader Operator Review
Asphalt Motor Grader Operator’s primary function is to operate a 12H or M grader for the operation, production, quality, and general maintenance of equipment and safety of the operations of heavy equipment. The position is also extended to provide assistance to the labor crew and basic equipment maintenance. The job is performed outdoors with exposure to all weather conditions and extreme temperatures.
Asphalt Motor Grader Operator Responsibilities
- Learn and exhibit company core values, resulting in a cooperative, positive and supportive attitude in working with team and management.
- Properly follow all OSHA regulations and company Safety Program/ Policy requirements to ensure safe working procedures and a safe working environment.
- Perform daily safety and maintenance checks and advise the supervisor/shop of any requirements for maintenance or repairs
- Clean heavy equipment as scheduled and/or required
- Ensure heavy equipment is safely and securely stored
- Maintain inventory
- Repetitive shoveling/raking/sweeping material
- Read and understand field survey grades and elevations.
- Work harmoniously, cooperatively and courteously with others at all times.
- Follow instructions from crew foremen, leaders, managers, state DOT inspectors, auditors and officials.
- Follow directions of foreman as to daily tasks and expectations for each specific job site.
Asphalt Motor Grader Operator Requirements
- 18 years of age or older.
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable driving history required.
- Minimum 2 years of road construction and paving experience or other commercial construction experience; thorough understanding of asphalt paving and roadway construction fundamentals required.
- Must be able to work overtime, nights, and weekends as needed at various times throughout the year.
- Must be able to understand work directions and communicate effectively with job site supervisors and fellow employees.
- Must have working knowledge of basic equipment maintenance
- Required to wear all safety PPE as defined by the Lehman-Roberts Company Safety Policy or determined by customer specifications.
- Must be alert and aware of everything going on around the construction area, consistently following safe work practices.
Work Conditions/ Physical Requirements
- Climb in and out, on and off equipment.
- Lift, carry and hold heavy materials, tools, and supplies on and off equipment.
- Combination of sit, walk and stand for long periods of time and perform strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions.
- May assist with leveling asphalt/aggregate to grade specifications using rakes, shovels, and trowels.
- May dig, spread, level, and remove construction materials. May require lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Accurately and regularly complete site checks and monitor traffic behavior and/or flow to ensure that safety is always maintained.
- Be alert and aware of everything going on around the construction area, consistently following safe work practices.
- Be able to tolerate a loud environment.
- Must understand SAFETY and be committed:
- To the health and safety of all employees, subcontractors, customers, and the community;
- To promoting a comprehensive safety culture;
- To individual accountability for following our safety standards; and
- To actively support and participate in a zero accident environment.
- Must be committed to learning the meaning of the company CORE VALUES, as well as their application to the specific, daily duties of the job:
- Humility – freedom from arrogance with a genuine respect for others and their perspectives.
- Relationships – giving priority to people and teamwork over processes.
- Stewardship – taking personal responsibility for the proper care and sharing of company assets.
- Continuous Improvement – committed to being open-minded, growing and learning.
- Must learn the principles of TOTAL PROCESS RELIABILITY (TPR) and implement them into the daily work routine, in order to contribute to maximum equipment reliability, increased production and reduced maintenance costs.
It is the policy of Lehman-Roberts Company not to discriminate against any applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex (to include pregnancy and sexual orientation), gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, or because he or she is a protected veteran or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Lehman-Roberts Company and/or the Memphis Stone & Gravel Company and their designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and veterans.