Permit Technician (Code Enforcement) – Closes March 23, 2022
This position works under general supervision of the Manager of Operations of Office of Construction Code Enforcement to perform responsible clerical work involved in application, review, payment, and issuance of building, electrical, mechanical, and/or plumbing permits and new and renewal of trade licenses.
|1. Two (2) years of experience in clerical, bookkeeping, data processing or statistical work and high school diploma or possess a GED; OR
2. One (1) year experience in clerical, bookkeeping, data processing, or statistical work and one (1) year of college study (30 semester hours or 36 quarters) from an accredited college or university.
3. ICC certified Permit Technician or obtain with six (6) months of hire.
4. Experience in the construction industry preferred.
5. PROOF OF EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND/OR EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED.
Duties and Responsibilities
|1. Processes and enters pertinent data into computer-based or other record format for processing or issuing permits, applications, registrations, licenses, documents, etc.
2. Serves as a customer liaison for the Office of Construction Code Enforcement, assisting the general public on a wide range of building, electrical, mechanical, and plumbing permit questions. This involves providing high quality, front-line customer service and possessing general knowledge of building regulations in order to manage a high volume of emails, phone calls and walk-in visitors.
3. Receives and reviews permit submittals and other various documents as required for accuracy and conformance with established codes and procedures.
4. Processes incoming new building, electrical, mechanical, or plumbing permit applications, including date entry and review of records in permit software system, as necessary.
5. Reviews and issues selected building, electrical, mechanical, and plumbing permits and certificates of occupancy as directed.
6. Assists in the review of individual applications made with the Office of Construction Code Enforcement by comparing the mechanical attributes of each building, electrical, mechanical, and plumbing permit applications filed with applicable codes, policies, and procedures that contain the required elements of that type of application.
7. Conducts research on past or pending building, electrical, mechanical, or plumbing permits to assist inspectors in their preparation of inspections, comments, or approvals.
8. Files and maintains control records and mails or issues department specific authorized documents or materials as required.
9. Obtains data from various sources to prepare and compile standard reports.
10. Performs other related duties as required or directed.
Must have an ICC certification as a Permit Technician or obtain within six (6) months of hire date.