US Army Corps of Engineers
Position Title: Shipkeeper
Series/Grade: Shipkeeper, XF-5788-06
Full Performance Level: XF-06
Opening and Closing Dates: 03/14/2022 – 03/18/2022
Duty Location: Official Duty Station is the Motor Vessel Mississippi, position requires (non-TDY)
travel with the Motor Vessel Mississippi, shift work, and mandatory overtime.
Hourly Salary Range: $19.35 – $22.57
Work Schedule: Full-Time, Seasonal
Seasonal Statement: This is a full-time permanent seasonal position. Seasonal signifies an
annually, recurring period of employment of less than 2087 hours per year. During non-work
periods you will be placed in a non-duty, non-pay status.
Appointment Type: Permanent
Travel Requirement: Temporary Duty Travel is 5% of the time
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens
Responsibilities/Duties: Incumbent serves as a Shipkeeper on the Motor Vessel Mississippi and
performs a variety of work involved in the kitchen cleanup and general housekeeping functions
such as preparation of coffee, wash dishes, and prepare meals on towboats, barges, or other
floating plant vessels. Official Duty Station is the Motor Vessel Mississippi, position requires
(non-TDY) travel with the Motor Vessel Mississippi, shift work, and mandatory overtime.
Schedule: During the season, all Motor Vessel Mississippi crew members, including this
position, work a 15 days on/6 days off schedule, with the work period beginning and ending on
Wednesdays. On the 15 workdays, employees remain on the Motor Vessel Mississippi and are
provided meals and lodging. This position works a 12-hour shift and may rotate between day
and night shifts. During the non-season, the crew works day shift only, with the vessel based at
Ensley Engineer Yard, Memphis, TN, on either a 5-day/8-hour or 4-day/10-hr schedule. During
the season, the vessel will work in widespread locations in the Mississippi River. This is a
permanent seasonal position; seasonal workers are normally placed in non-pay status (laid off)
for part of the non-season.
Qualifications Requirements: For all U.S. citizens, must obtain and maintain TWIC.
Conditions of Employment:
• Must meet suitability for Federal employment
• Physical and Drug Test required
• Will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship
• Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-employment
Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration
• Personnel security investigation required
• Reasonable accommodation is available to qualified employees with disabilities
• Lifting requirement is 40 lbs.
• Two-year probationary period is required.
How to Apply: Please provide your current resume (preferably in .pdf format)
1) Via Email: to: Kevin.W.Williams@usace.army.mil, and copy Lauren.L.Beasley@usace.army.mil.
2) Please ensure your email has the following subject line: Direct Hire of Shipkeeper, XF-5788-
06, MV Mississippi
3) Application packages will be accepted through 11:59pm CT on 3/18/2022
Application packages that are received after the closing date, or do not
contain resume will not be considered.
Disclaimer: You are about to provide personal data. By completing this online application, you are authorizing the US Army Engineer
Memphis District to use this data in the recruiting, application, and selection process