USACE Memphis District
We are seeking motivated individuals to work in Operations Division
Opening and Closing Dates: 3/7/2022 – 3/11/2022
Position Title: Master, Tender
Full Performance Level: XH-5784-08
Duty Location: Official Duty Station is the Dredge Hurley, position requires (non-TDY) travel
with the Hurley, shift work, and mandatory overtime.
Hourly Salary Range: $30.44 – $35.51
Work Schedule: Full-Time
Appointment Type: Permanent
Travel Requirement: Temporary Duty Travel is 5% of the time
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens
Responsibilities/Duties: Supervises small crew on tender (e.g., 2-4) lays out their work and
directs their activities while on watch. Spot checks work performed on other shifts. Pilots
tender and manipulates pilothouse controls governing the speed and direction of the boat,
as required in making and breaking of tows, towing plant and barges in immediate vicinity
of projects and performs long-distant towing as required. Towing and/or harbor work is
more specifically represented by towing otherwise tending large or small field units. Is
required to be familiar with waters in which boat operates, observe navigation rules,
operate boat in a safe manner, and possess a Master of Towing Vessel Western Rivers
license issued by the Coast
Schedule: During the dredging season, typically May through November, all Hurley crew
members, including this position, work a 15 days on/6 days off schedule, with the work period
beginning and ending on Wednesdays. On the 15 workdays, employees remain on the Dredge
Hurley and are provided meals and lodging. This position works a 12-hour shift and may rotate
between day and night shifts. During the non-dredging season, the crew works day shift only,
with the vessel based at Ensley Engineer Yard, Memphis, TN, on either a 5-day/8-hour or 4-
day/10-hr schedule. During the dredging season, the Dredge Hurley will work in widespread
locations in the Mississippi River, including up to 120 days in the vicinity of Baton Rouge, LA.
Qualifications Requirements: Position requires a USCG license of Master of Towing Western
Conditions of Employment:
• Must meet suitability for Federal employment
• Physical and Drug Test required
• Will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship
• Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-employment
Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration
• Personnel security investigation required
• Reasonable accommodation is available to qualified employees with disabilities
• lifting requirement is 50 lbs.
• Two-year probationary period is required.
How to Apply: Please provide your current resume (preferably in .pdf
1) Via Email: to: Adrian.P.Pirani@usace.army.mil, and copy Matt.P.Young@usace.army.mil.
2) Please ensure your email has the following subject line: Direct Hire of Master Tender, XH5784-08, Dredge Hurley
3) Application packages will be accepted through 11:59pm CT on 3/11/2022
4) Due to COVID-19, the agency is currently in an expanded telework posture. If selected,
you may be expected to temporarily telework, even if your home is located outside the
local commuting area. Once employees are permitted to return to the office, you will be
expected to report to the duty station listed on this announcement within a designated
timeframe identified by the organization. At that time, you may be eligible to request to
continue to telework one or more days a pay period depending upon the terms of the
agency’s telework policy.
Application packages that are received after the closing date, or do not
contain resume will not be considered.