USACE Memphis District
We are seeking motivated individuals to work in Operations Division
Opening and Closing Dates: 02/28/22 – 03/04/22
Position Title: Steersman/1st Mate/Assistant Master, Motor Vessel Mississippi
Full Performance Level: XH-14 (May be selected at any grade level with non-competitive
promotion potential to target grade. Non-competitive promotion potential to the target grade
based on demonstrated ability to perform the higher graded duties.)
Duty Location: Official Duty Station is the Motor Vessel Mississippi.
Hourly Salary Range: $32.01 – $43.87
Work Schedule: Full-Time
Appointment Type: Permanent
Travel Requirement: Temporary Duty Travel is less than 5% of the time
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens
Responsibilities/Duties: Incumbent serves as a Steersman/1st Mate/Assistant Master on the
M/V Mississippi and performs a variety of work involved in the operation & management of the
Motor Vessel Mississippi to obtain additional practical experience in river navigation, to
develop an increased ability to handle vessels and tows, and to increase familiarity with the
different river navigation conditions and elements leading to future assignment to a target
position of Assistant Master/Pilot, XH-5784-14 (GL162122).
1. Stands a regular watch operating the vessel’s controls to navigate safely in various river
2. Supervises the deck crew engaged in making up and breaking up tows, general
housekeeping, and various deck work.
2. Enforces safety regulations and instructs crew on both safe work procedures and work
practices peculiar to floating plant.
3. Conducts fire, lifeboat and man-overboard drills.
4. Performs other duties as assigned.
Schedule: This position requires varying shift work. During towing season, works 2 weeks on, 1
week off. Works 12 hours per day. During Mississippi River Commission trips, incumbent may
be required to work 45 days straight. During Lay-up/Maintenance season, incumbent will work
a 8 day on – 6 day off (10-hour days) schedule during winter maintenance period.
Qualifications Requirements: This position requires mandatory licenses.
To qualify for the Assistant Master, Towboat (DR), XH-5784-14 you must possess a current U.S.
Coast Guard Mate of Any Gross Tons and Master of Towing (Western Rivers) license. The
incumbent must possess a current Radar endorsement. Must obtain Master of any Gross Tons
(Western Rivers) license within 36 months of employment, failure to obtain may result in
termination. Applicants seeking to qualify immediately at the XH-14 level must have proven and
verifiable piloting experience on the lower Mississippi River with tows of 16-24 loaded barges.
To qualify for the First Mate, Towboat, XH-5784-12, you must possess the following U.S. Coast
Guard licenses: a current Mate of any Gross Tons AND Master Towing (Western Rivers).
To qualify for the Steersman, Towboat, XH-5784-09, you must possess the following U.S. Coast
Guard licenses: (1) Master of Towing or (2) Mate of 1600 Gross Tons and Mate/Pilot Towing
(Western Rivers) license or (3) Any Gross Ton Mate.
Conditions of Employment:
• Must meet suitability for Federal employment
• Will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship
• Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-employment
Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration
• Pre-employment Physical Examination and an annual examination thereafter to ensure
the continued, required level of physical health and ability or fitness to perform the duties
of the position.
• This position is subject to a pre-employment drug test screening, and random testing
thereafter. Incumbent is required to sign a DA Form 5019-R, “Condition of Employment
for Certain Civilian Positions Identified as Critical Under the Drug Abuse Testing
Program,” or a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU).
• Personnel security investigation required
• Reasonable accommodation is available to qualified employees with disabilities
• Two-year probationary period is required.
How to Apply: Please provide your current resume, must be readable
1) Via Email: to: Kevin.W.Williams@usace.army.mil, and copy Lauren.L.Beasley@usace.army.mil.
2) Please ensure your email has the following subject line: Direct Hire of Steersman/1st
Mate/Assistant Master, Motor Vessel Mississippi, XH-5784-09/12/14
3) Application packages will be accepted through 11:59pm CT on 3/4/2022
Application packages that are received after the closing date, or do not
contain resume will not be considered.