Here are some other online resources providing unique or interesting information about the Mid-South Coliseum.
About the Coliseum
- Coliseum Coalition – An organization whose mission is to provide community outreach to reopen the historic Mid-South Coliseum and acknowledge its integral place in the City’s history.
- Drone Fly-Through – In October 2019, Youtube account FPVenture posted a drone fly-through of the Coliseum which provides a unique inside view of the building.
- National Register of Historic Places – In 2000, the Mid-South Coliseum was added to the National Register of Historic Places. The registration form for the National Register of Historic Places includes many details on the building.
- MTSU Center For Historic Preservation – The MTSU Center for Historic Preservation holds several documents that shed much light on the history of the Mid-South Coliseum and its role in desegregation.
Concerts and Concert Promotion
- Beatles Contract – Flickr user “birch from memphis” posted the contract provided to Early Maxwell Associates.
- Bob Kelley: The Man Behind The Who Concert – A 2016 article from “Memphis Magazine” by Mark J. Davis detailing the 1980 behind-the-scenes work of local concert promoter, Bob Kelley.
- Concert Impresario Joe Sullivan Passes – A 2018 MusicRow article about Joe Sullivan, regional DJ and eventual concert promoter for the Nashville area.
- Early Concert Promoters: Jim Pagni, Mark Berman, Terry Phillips, Bob Eubanks, Bill Wright. – An article in the “San Diego Reader” in October 1972 by Joan Levine. It includes a description of the concert promotion business in the early 1970s.
- Presley v. City of Memphis – Tennessee Court of Appeals ruling on refunds for cancelled 1977 Elvis Presley concerts at the Coliseum.
- Jeff Sharp – AEG Presents Interview 12.30.2017 – A Southern Heritage Classic YouTube video of an interview with concert promoter Jeff Sharp, later joined by Fred Jones. Fred Jones promoted many concerts at the Coliseum and also served on the Board. Jeff Sharp worked with Fred Jones in promoting several concerts including the Prince Purple Rain tour.
- Rowe Entertainment, Inc. v. William Morris Agency, Inc. – U.S. District Court. – This court decision provides a very detailed glimpse into the business of concert promotion.
- Sunshine concert company shaped Indiana entertainment – A 2014 article from the “Indy Star” about Sunshine Promotions. This concert promotion company eventually built Deer Creek Music Center in 1989. This article shows the growth of the outdoor concert venue as well as the eventual consolidation of the concert promotion business.