what can you do with a library card?
- We have over a MILLION items for checkout. You can check out 25 items at a time and renew up to two times.
- Download eBooks or eAudio Books. No checkout fees. No overdue fines. They automatically return.
- Learn new skills with lynda.com or learn a new language with Transparent Languages.
- So much more! Get started today!
Apply online to receive a Library Card Number that you can use immediately to access our eCollection and public computers. This card number is good for 2 years. Visit any Memphis Public Library with your documentation requirements listed below to check out physical items. (Customers age 13 and up are invited to apply online.)
apply in person
Print the application, also available at the Library, and visit any Memphis Public Library with your documentation requirements to create your account.
NEED TO RENEW YOUR ACCOUNT? RENEW ONLINE
Library Cards require periodic confirmation of current address. This can be done in person at any Memphis Public Libraries location; however, due to COVID-19, you may submit your renewal request online. We will automatically extend the account for one year without requiring documentation.
don’t know your pin?
A PIN is required to access certain online services. If you have a library card, a PIN has already been set up for you and should have been provided when your account was created.
Here are some options if you do not know your PIN:
- You can try the last 4 digits of your Library Card Number.
- You can change your PIN here. Following this link will take you through the steps of changing your PIN. However, this option will only work if you have a valid email address associated with your account.
- If you do not have a valid email address associated with your account, you can submit this PIN Request. We will look up and provide your PIN and add your email to your account so that you can use the “Forgot my PIN” option in the future.
WHO CAN APPLY FOR A LIBRARY CARD?
Residents and property owners of Memphis, Bartlett and unincorporated Shelby County are entitled to a free card.