- ABOUT US
- COLLECTIONS A - C
- COLLECTIONS D - M
- COLLECTIONS N - Z
- ONLINE RESOURCES
- LINC 211
- SUPPORT THE LIBRARY
- ASK A QUESTION
- SECOND EDITIONS BOOKSTORE
- COMPUTER CLASSES
- MEETING ROOMS
- PROGRAMS & EVENTS
- SPECIAL NEEDS SERVICES
- TTY SERVICE
- WI-FI ACCESS
- WYPL FM 89.3
- MY ACCOUNT
- HELP / CONTACT
Looking for a new book to read? Here you will find links to lists of books that have won an award!
- Caldecott Medal
Annually awarded to the illustrator of ALSC's choice for most distinguished picture book.
- Newbery Medal
Annually awarded by the ALSC for excellence in children's literature.
- Coretta Scott King Book Awards
Awarded for the best books for youth by African American authors and illustrators that reflect the African American experience.
- Mildred L. Batchelder Award
Awarded to the best book for youth originally published outside the United States in another language.
- Pura Belpré Award
From the site: "presented annually to a Latino/Latina writer and illustrator whose work best portrays, affirms, and celebrates the Latino cultural experience in an outstanding work of literature for children and youth."
- Carnegie Medal
Presented for the best in children's video production annually.
- Theodore Seuss Geisel Award
Presented to the best author and illustrator of an American book for beginner readers.
- Odyssey Award
Love to listen? This award is presented to the best audiobook for children or young adults.
- Schneider Family Book Award
Presented to an author or illustrator who creates a work that best demonstrates the experience of a disabled child for a young audience.
- Robert F. Sibert Award
Presented to the best author and illustrator of a nonfiction book for children.
- Laural Ingalls Wilder Award
From the site: the Wilder Award "honors an author or illustrator whose books, published in the United States, have made, over a period of years, a substantial and lasting contribution to literature for children."
- ALA Children's Notable Books, Videos and Recordings
A virtual goldmine of librarian recommended material.
- New York Public Library's 100 Books for Reading and Sharing Recommended by librarians - who first tested them on children, the most important audience.
- New York Public Library's 100 Picture Books Everyone Should Know
- IRA Children's Choice Reading List
The International Reading Association lets kids pick their favorites for these excellent lists.
- IRA Teacher's Choice Reading List
The International Reading Association trusts teachers to know what will get kids to read. This annual annoted list is compiled by teachers and librarians.
- R.E.A.D. Dogs - Penny and Olly will be available to listen to shy readers. Learn more about R.E.A.D. (Reading Education Assistance) Dogs at the Therapy Animals website, and our local dogs at the West Tennessee Therapy Dogs site. -For more information, call 901.415.2739.
- Every Child Ready to Read - Five simple and fun habits can be the stepping stones to great reading skills. Join Youth Services Coordinator Mary Seratt for ECRR workshops -For more information, call 901.415.2739. Read more about the Every Child Read to Read Initiative to learn why early childhood literacy is so important.
Bring your gently used books to the nearest Memphis Public Library & Information Center location. Proceeds from Friends of the Library book sales benefit the Memphis Public Library & Information Center.