Dial 2-1-1 to Find Help
If you are looking for help, or want to provide someone with help, just dial 2-1-1 to reach the community information and referral resources of LINC, the Library Information Center at the Memphis Public Library. LINC, in conjunction with United Way of the Mid-South, is the local source for community resources. LINC maintains a large, comprehensive database of human services organizations, government agencies and volunteer groups, which can now be accessed by dialing 2-1-1.
The most frequent requests for help are utilities, food, protective services, legal assistance, child care, social support, housing, and mental health.
Services are accessible to the hearing-impaired by calling TTY 415-2701. Toll free access is also available at (855) 354-4211.
Serving People in Need and the Agencies Who Help Them
2-1-1 LINC has the most comprehensive database of human service resources in the area. It is continuously updated by the information professionals, also known as librarians, at the Memphis Public Library & Information Center.
The concept of dialing 2-1-1 for help is not just in the Mid-South. It is a growing national service. The Federal Communications Commission designated 2-1-1 as the national abbreviated dialing code for free access to health and human services information and referral.
Free and Immediate Information for help when…
- You are worried about the gas shutoff notice you just received.
- You have been caring for your wife, who has Alzheimer’s. You are exhausted and need assistance and respite.
- Your employee is frequently missing work; she needs affordable, reliable child care.
- You need counseling for your 12 year-old son who is not going to school regularly.
- You have questions about eligibility for Food Stamps.
- Your client needs information about available transportation for the disabled.
- You are a guidance counselor searching for a parenting course for a teen father.
- You want to know how to get a passport.
- You are a teenager with problems at home and need someone to talk to.
Community services in the Memphis and surrounding area:
- Clothing »
- Community Clinics »
- Disaster Services »
- English Instruction »
- Emergency Food »
- Foreclosure Assistance »
- Furniture »
- GED »
- Home Weatherproofing »
- Legal Services »
- Literacy Programs »
- Mortgage Assistance »
- Rent Assistance »
- Substance Abuse »
- Transportation »
- Tutoring Services »
- Utility Assistance »
- Free Senior Tax Help »
- Free Tax Assistance »
- Teen Pregnancy »
- Youth Programs »
The Community Resources Database, lists current information about community services in the Memphis and surrounding area. It is produced by the LINC/2-1-1 service of the Memphis Public Library &Information Center.