The library is intended to be used for reading, learning, and using library materials and services. We ask your cooperation in maintaining an environment in which all customers can use and enjoy the library. In order to provide safe, welcoming, and comfortable facilities, the Memphis Public Library & Information Center requires all visitors to comply with the following rules:
- Talk at low levels so others will not be disturbed.
- Covered, non-alcoholic drinks are allowed in the building. Eating is allowed in designated locations only.
- Set your cell phone or other electronic device to silent or vibrate mode. Please be considerate of others and talk at low levels so others will not be disturbed.
- Children aged 12 and under should not be left in the library without a parent or designated person over 17 years of age to actively monitor them. Children or young adults (under the age of 18) left unattended at the library after closing may be placed in the care of the police.
- Library telephones are for staff use; however, staff may exercise discretion should the need arise for a customer to use the telephone.
Please also be aware that the following are not allowed:
- Disturbing other library customers or staff.
- Threatening, name calling, horseplay, or physical violence.
- Damaging or stealing property.
- Possessing weapons.
- Smoking in the library or on library grounds within 50 feet of public entrances/exits (including vapor or e-cigarettes.)
- Engaging in any activity that is in violation of federal, state, or local law, or library policy.
Anyone not following these rules can be asked to leave and can lose their library privileges. They can also be arrested or be subject to other legal action.
- Children aged 12 and under must be accompanied by a person a person at least 17 years of age.
- Service animals are the only animals permitted in the library
- Phones in Security office are for emergency purposes only
- Do not leave your valuables unattended – the library will not be responsible
- Bikes, roller skates, rollerblades, skateboards, or any recreational transportation devices are not permitted in the building
- Clothing worn in the library should not conceal identity or depict inappropriate information
Reasons you may be asked to the leave the library:
- Disrespecting Library Personnel
- Disturbing Others
- Damaging Property
- Possessing Weapons
- Viewing Inappropriate Material
- Violating the Library’s Internet Use Policy
- Failing to Adjust Attire Appropriately
Persons who violate these guidelines may be asked to leave the library and/or may be subject to arrest or prosecution.