Celebrate Women’s History Month with a virtual concert series. Visit our Women’s History Month Concert Series page for more details.
Becky Roland and the Double Stops – March 10 – 7:00 PM
Grace Askew – March 16 – 7:00 PM
Tikyra Jackson – March 24 – 7:00 PM
The Zoo Girls – March 30 – 7:00 PM
In partnership with Mid-South Chess, MPL presents Women’s International Master Thalia Cervantes! Join us as we celebrate female chess players, discuss Netflix’s original series The Queen’s Gambit, and more this afternoon! This event will have also have a Spanish translator to translate the discussion.
Follow Thalia and her chess on Twitch.tv
This event will be livestreamed on Microsoft Teams, visit our Memphis Public Libraries Events Calendar to watch.
Browse these book selections. For physical books, you can place a hold and pick them up from your nearest branch. Take advantage of our curbside pickup service and we’ll bring them out to your vehicle:
Revisit our Votes for Women online exhibit celebrating the 100th anniversary of women’s suffrage and the decades-long struggle by suffragists in Memphis, the state of Tennessee, and across the nation.
other items in our archives
- Burson, Josephine Wainman (1915-2009) (Collection Finding Aid)
- Church, Roberta (1914-1995) (Collection Finding Aid) (Images)
- DeCosta-Willis, Miriam (1934-2021) (Collection Finding Aid) (Recent blog post)
- Griffin, Marion Scudder (1879-1957) (Collection Finding Aid)
- Kennedy Book Club (1902-2002) (Collection Finding Aid)
- Lewis, Selma S. (1922-2000) (Collection Finding Aid)
- Love, Mary Graham (1884-1981) (Collection Finding Aid)
- Magness, Perre (Online Collection)
- National Coalition of 100 Black Women (Collection Finding Aid)
- National Organization for Women – Memphis Chapter (Collection Finding Aid)
- Omlie, Phoebe (1902-1975) (Collection Finding Aid) (Images)
- Price, Nadia (1919-2013) (Online Collection)
- Scruggs, Susanne Conlan (1863-1945) (Collection Finding Aid)
- Smith, Maxine A. (1929-2013) (Collection Finding Aid) (Images)
- Much more…
World Book e-Books is a collection of reference books that are always available. Here are some selections regarding Women’s History:
Women of Achievement is a local coalition of organizations that honor women annually in the areas of Initiative, Heroism, Determination, Courage, Vision, Steadfastness, and Heritage. They also include an online version of their Legacy Trail brochure. Use this brochure to learn more about the impact women have had on Memphis.
The National Women’s History Alliance was integral in the establishment of Women’s History Month. Access resources and activities.
Visit the National Women’s History Museum’s page on Women’s History Month to learn more about this designation and to access their 2021 Women’s History Month Resource Toolkit, filled with links to biographies, events, and programming to celebrate this important month.
The Library of Congress, National Archives and Records Administration, National Endowment for the Humanities, National Gallery of Art, National Park Service, Smithsonian Institution and United States Holocaust Memorial Museum join in commemorating and encouraging the study, observance and celebration of the vital role of women in American history. Visit this page for a list of exhibits and virtual events.
dig memphis images
Visit Dig Memphis for more!