Explore Memphis has ended! If you have won a prize during Explore Memphis or are one of the Grand Prize winners you have until August 16th to claim your prize.
Tails and Tales! READ, LEARN, AND EXPLORE!
It’s that time again. Memphis Public Libraries are your free ticket to a summer full of reading and loads of fun activities this June and July. And the best part? All MPL programs are free and open to the public. Like last summer, you can register and log reading online with Beanstack! You can learn more about our online challenge at our Explore Memphis Reading Challenge page. The more you read and explore, the more chances you have to win.
This summer discover our online programs for all ages. See your favorite children’s librarians present story time. There will also be afternoon children’s programs – puppet shows, STEM activities, and art programs. Check out the Summer Library Show presented by Mr. Bond’s Science Guys on YouTube.
For tweens, stay tuned to the CLOUD901 Instagram page for a variety of offerings including Virtual Escape Rooms! Teens can check out two of our most recent virtual escape rooms: Star Wars Day 2021 and Seasons Greetings: A Food Literacy VER.
Adult book clubs and programs will be meeting virtually via Microsoft Teams. Find events for adults and book clubs that you can attend this summer! You can also call or visit your local library branch to find out more about their book clubs.
Summer Camps will be held in June and July. Virtual Summer Camps are FREE for ages 9-18. All camps are taught by our wonderful MPL staff with fun and engaging STEAM based projects. Applications are open through June 1st. Apply today at https://www.memphislibrary.org/summer-camps.
REad & Explore With Explore Memphis
Kids, tweens, teens, and adults can register to be part of the Explore Memphis Summer Reading program to read and earn great prizes!
- Register: You can register online or at any branch of Memphis Public Libraries.
- Read: This year reading or being read to earns you points! Each minute read is worth one point. Finish a book and earn 10 points! Try to read or be read to 60 minutes a week! Keep track of your reading and log it online. Learn more about our Reading challenge!
- Explore: Attend virtual programs this summer to earn 20 points. You can also earn 20 points by taking virtual tours or exploring places like museums or the zoo.
- Log your Reading and Activities: Log your reading and exploring online with Beanstack. Online, you can earn badges as you reach milestones throughout the summer.
- Prizes – Virtual and real items can be won this year. Each branch will give away a grand prize. And, of course, everyone can win BOOKS! Customers will have until Monday August 16th, 2021 to claim their prizes.
First day to log reading: Tuesday, June 1
Last day to record reading: Saturday, July 31
Join us as we celebrate all things Memphis! Enjoy local music and food, go on a storywalk and learn more about what your local library and community groups have to offer at these family friendly events. Adults must be accompanied by children.
June 4 – 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Benjamin L. Hooks Central Library
June 18 – 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Ed Rice Community Center in Frayser
July 9 – 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Hollywood Community Center
July 23 – 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
July 30 – 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
About Explore Memphis
When children and teens don’t read during the summer, they lose important knowledge and skills gained during the school year. This is called the summer slide. The slide isn’t something easily made up, either; children don’t catch up the following school year, because other children are moving ahead with their skills. At MPL, we’re determined to help families prevent this slide by offering opportunities to read and learn throughout the summer.
Did you know?
- Reading over the summer helps to prevent the summer slide.
- Combining reading, learning, and exploration improves student interest and academic growth.
- Reading improves your overall health–it increases mental stimulation and relaxation, among other health benefits.
- Reading and learning together helps families bond and grow.
Our Mission: to motivate participants to read and learn during the summer through engaging programs, creative partnerships, and free resources.
Our Vision: A more literate Memphis.
Questions? Call us at 901-415-2700