IMAGINE YOUR STORY! READ, LEARN, AND EXPLORE!
Explore Memphis has come to an end. We want to give a big thank you to everyone that participated! If you still have reading to log, please do so by August 5th. We will doing the drawing for Grand Prizes after the 5th.
Join us for the Virtual Explore Memphis Finale with author Claire Fullerton. This event will be on August 1st from 2pm to 3:30pm.
It’s that time again. Memphis Public Libraries are your free ticket to a summer full of reading and loads of fun activities this June and July. And the best part? All MPL programs are free and open to the public. NEW this summer, you can register and log reading online! You can learn more about it at our Explore Memphis Reading Challenge page. The more you read, the more chances you have to win.
This summer you can Imagine your Story through a variety of programs on our online platforms. See your favorite children’s librarians present storytime, every morning, Monday – Friday. There will also be two afternoon children’s programs every week – puppet shows, STEM activities, and art programs.
For tweens, stay tuned to the Cloud 901 Instagram page for a variety of offerings including Escape Rooms!
Adult book clubs will be meeting on Webex. Check in with your local branch for the schedule. There will also be at least one adult program a week and Friday night Porch concerts by local artists.
Saturday will be family day featuring magic, science, music, theatre, and more.
Summer Camps will be held in July. Virtual Summer Camps are FREE for ages 9-18. All camps are taught by our wonderful MPL staff with fun and engaging STEAM based projects. Applications are open through June 15. Apply today at http://www.memphislibrary.org/summer camps.
REad With Explore Memphis
Kids, tweens, teens, and adults can register to be part of the Explore Memphis Summer Reading program to read and earn great prizes!
- Register: You can register online or at any branch of Memphis Public Libraries.
- Read: Read or be read to for at least 20 minutes a day. Keep track of your time and log it online. Learn more about our Reading challenge!
- Log your Reading: Log your reading online. Online, you can earn badges as you reach reading milestones.
- Prizes – virtual and real items. Teens and adults can win gift cards and Gift cards and Samsung tablet for. Each branch will give away two Razor A Scooters and a wide variety of bi-weekly prizes. And, of course, everyone can win BOOKS!
First day to log reading: Saturday, May 30
Last day to record reading: Saturday, August 1
About Explore Memphis
When children and teens don’t read during the summer, they lose important knowledge and skills gained during the school year. This is called the summer slide. The slide isn’t something easily made up, either; children don’t catch up the following school year, because other children are moving ahead with their skills. At MPL, we’re determined to help families prevent this slide by offering opportunities to read and learn throughout the summer.
Did you know?
- Reading over the summer helps to prevent the summer slide.
- Combining reading, learning, and exploration improves student interest and academic growth.
- Reading improves your overall health–it increases mental stimulation and relaxation, among other health benefits.
- Reading and learning together helps families bond and grow.
Our Mission: to motivate participants to read and learn during the summer through engaging programs, creative partnerships, and free resources.
Our Vision: A more literate Memphis.
Questions? Call us at 901-415-2700
Explore Memphis 2020 Virtual Kickoff!
Explore Memphis possible with generous funding by